Search the forum,

Discuss Tap flexi tail to copper or plastic pipe? What's best & what's needed? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks

I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap.

The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a female connector?).

Would I be best of connecting the tail to the plastic pipe, or cutting the copper and connecting to that?

For whatever option is best, please could anyone link me to the part(s) I'd need to make the connection, along with anything else I'd need? I do have some Pegler isolation valves, but I think the ends need to be flat faced to connect to the tail (which I don't think the iso valves are)...

Many thanks

IMG_20230509_125246435.jpg

IMG_20230509_125537454_HDR.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Would something like this also be suitable? -

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-compression-adapting-male-coupler-15mm-x-1-2-/69358

I think I prefer the idea of attaching to the copper rather than plastic. The only thing is, how much copper do I need? There isn't a great deal to attach to. I was hoping to cut at the red line in the photo below, because the pipe above is all looking quite rough.

Also, should I use joint compound (don't have any), or would PTFE be enough (got some)?

Just to remind, this will only be a temp fix as the whole unit is being replace int he coming weeks/months, and the new tap is completely different.

Cheers

IMG_20230511_135504472_HDR Smaller and Edited.jpg

those adaptors are fine, use them regularly when I don't have the right isolation valves or the existing aren't right.

Cutting there looks ok, I personally don't use ptfe on compression because i think its micky mouse but a lot of others swear by it. I wouldn't go out and buy a tub of jointing compound if its going to be re-done by a plumber in a few months, you just need to get the right torque tightening the joint, its a little more than nipped up and a bit less than wrenched together.

Why not just swap the compression couplings that’s attach onto the existing flexis for male irons eg from screwfix

those adaptors are fine, use them regularly when I don't have the right isolation valves or the existing aren't right.

Cutting there looks ok, I personally don't use ptfe on compression because i think its micky mouse but a lot of others swear by it. I wouldn't go out and buy a tub of jointing compound if its going to be re-done by a plumber in a few months, you just need to get the right torque tightening the joint, its a little more than nipped up and a bit less than wrenched together.

Hi. Do you mean the Flomasta one I linked to is fine?

I'm going to have a go at fitting the new one myself when the time comes. So I guess I might as well get some jointing compound to use now and later. It's not very expensive I don't think. Does it keep for a long time?

Why not just swap the compression couplings that’s attach onto the existing flexis for male irons eg from screwfix

Hi. There are no flexis at the moment. The couplers in the photo have copper both ends. And the nearer you get to the taps, the worse state everything is in! Also, I'm not sure if there's a leak between in the pipework between the existing couplers and the speedfit elbows. So to play it safe I thought best to remove as much of the existing copper as possible.

Many thanks

Reply to Tap flexi tail to copper or plastic pipe? What's best & what's needed? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock