Search the forum,

Discuss Tap holes in acrylic bath are too large in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced 2 separate bath taps with a 2 hole mixer on an acrylic bath. The fixing centres are fine, but the holes are so big that the foam seal only just covers the holes. Consequently we get loads of water dripping through the holes when the shower is used. A bead of silicone round the tap body works for a while, but doesn't look very good and needs re-applying every few weeks. Does anyone have a better idea please?

Have you tried poly washers?

You can get fiberglass bodywork filler from a car spares place.
Remove the taps and hold something flat over the holes and pack the holes from underneath. Remove the flat thing from the top and ensure the holes have been fully packed. Allow to set completely. Drill out holes to suit and reinstall taps.

I once had this problem, which I remedied by taking the taps out, siliconed up under the foam seal between the tap thread and the hole, then used top hat washes underneath before I screwed the backnuts on. Worked for me.

Short of getting taps with bigger shoulders you could try to source some stainless steel washers.

An engineering firm could make some up for you.

Once had this, used some Mira shower flat shower trims drilled them out from 1/2"" to 3/4" bit of silicone sorted!

Had a similar situation recently but it was my fault using a hole saw just a bit too big. My customer was a metal fabricator and had a Trumpf Truflow 4000 laser cutting machine. Made up a washer in stainless which I polished. Looked like chrome and part of the kit when installed. As MM says there are a suprising number of fabricators equipped to do this.

I would make up a perspex gasket to fit underneath the holes, and then fill the step and underside with silicone, and refit the mixer - as pic.

You should be able to get an off-cut of perspex from a sign maker.

Attachments

• Gasket for bath jpeg.jpg
    Gasket for bath jpeg.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 55
Bath makers seem to always make the holes too large. That is why I prefer to have to drill nice tight holes myself! As you have fitted a mixer, it would have been best to have chosen a mixer that has the swivel offset legs - that way you can centre the legs on the holes, (putting insulating tape a certain distance back from the edge of the holes so to show it is centred).
A piece of lead with holes drilled a tight fit for the tap threads & below the bath & plenty silicone will seal no problem, or use what others have suggested for washers. Use brass back nuts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap holes in acrylic bath are too large in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock