Discuss The Green Deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
what annoys me most about the whole thing is the over inflated projected savings 30% is what they are working on.

how many condensing boilers have you guys fitted where the customer has come back and said to you 'wow my gas bills are waaaayyy cheaper now' truth is most barely notice any savings at all if any.

This has to be the biggest and waste of money/rip off in years. and its the big companies making all the money not the little Guy. i'd rather work in morrisons and stack than work as a subby for these sharks.
now i know we have to put food on the table and some of us clothe the kids.
but if they stopped and thought about we could literally hold these sharks to ransom it just seems some people daft to realise this. little guy takes all the responsibilty yet gets feck all reward.
this is the main reason i'm focusing more on bathrooms at least the sharks cant take these.
still if they all fitted like a bag of carp and they will a few years down the line should reap a fair bit repair and maintenance and no doubt a fair few will need replacing.

it would have been so much fairer giving custs a money off voucher to use with whoever they choose.

But why is it on the only BIG firms that are going to get the bulk of the work?
Surely if you do Energy assessor and green deal advisor tickets you can get fully paid rather than subbing? Can anyone clarify as I am in need of significantly more regular work., things are a bit sporadic at present and it's wearing thin!!

How are companies picked to do assessments or installs?
anyone doing this eco scheme? sounds better than green deal which I think will be a total flunk...

AHh....after a bit more research, it seems the BIG SIX energy providers basically handpick who they give the install work to?? Wow that is so corrupt it's almost ridiculous?!!! Am I right in thinking there's no frickin chance of getting on their books .... the only chance may be through my prefered boiler supplier? and theres probably not much chance there as much bigger companies who buy thousands of boilers will probably get all that work!!

You all need to do a bit more research on this before shouting off about how bad it is?

we are talking about billions of pounds here, of course it has to be regulated. Do you really expect that sort of money to be dished out willy billy in vouchers to any Tom dick or Harry to abuse and use?

the energy companies have an obligation to meet. They need to show evidence of carbon reduction and the guidelines have been set out by ofgem in order for this to be done so that come the end they can prove they have net these obligations.

as such, don't expect to be able to get involved without jumping through a few hoops and aligning yourself with the requirements of the scheme. On the other hand, if you put the effort in, you will be able to offer free boilers directly to potential customers. The large companies are cashing in on the fact that most small businesses can't be bothered, or haven't got the mentality to get involved directly, hence the low prices offered to install only.

Theres money to be made here lads, you've just got to put some effort in and read up on the scheme as it is fairly complicated. Sorry that its not handed to you on a plate, that's life.

Last edited:
I wish you well Nostrum but Ive seen everything I need to know about ECO and Green Deal and its not for me.

Care to elaborate CES? Would like to know if I've missed something.

The fees and the projected income didnt balance enough in my experience Nostrum.
For GDA work - £30 per GDA (possibly 1-2 hrs work minus lodgement fee of between £5-15 per assessment)
For Installation work - Combi swap - £250 (minus pipe and fittings).

The initial outlay has been considerable DEA/GDA training, NAPIT registration,Professional Indemnity insurance (£100K cover min) QMSA manual and for the first year I have had no return on this outlay (my registration is due for renewal in July).
I've not even factored in the fees involved for PAS 2030.
In my experience there seems to be a lot of money being made by others before any work is carried out (namely training and accreditation bodies). If I wasn't a born skeptic I could believe that these were a necessary evil in order to prevent the cowboys participating, but if you have enough money you can actually buy your way into schemes like these and why would the powers that be care? They are absolving themselves from all responsibility as it then lies with the installer who has PAS 2030 registration. Any subbies working under someones registration can also put that business registration at risk so It would be wise to watch out who works for you if that's the route you intend to take. Very little reward for all the risk - Im too long in the tooth for that Im afraid.

I already know of some reet crap firms already on the green deal scheme around my way .Its far from keeping the cowboys at bay and if anything from what i read it a legal con to the tradesman and homeowner the only winners are the govt

The install money Eco is awful. But if you fancy chucking 2-3k to get green deal certified for £350 to fit a boiler and you deal with any issues you go for it boys. Its a warm front replacement nothing more

All I'm saying is this. Do a bit of research. If you go through the motions and get accredited you shouldn't be getting £250 a boiler.

Last edited:
I've spoken with assesors, energy providers, accreditation people, installers already installing and manufacturers, its the new warm front. Most you'll get is £1500 from say glowworm but you have to buy boiler, flue and stats, pie fittings etc and flush, let's be fair by time you've got all materials you'll be left with £500-600 if lucky, if you want that to do boiler change and power flush you go for it

if the governmeny was willing to invest in decent renewables and bin all the wind farm hype Id start taking it seriously. How they think its warrants spending millions on an unreliable system beggars belief. why for instance do those in charge insist on putting wind turbines in the bristol channel that wont work all the time when there is a perfectly good rise and fall of the tide for 22 hours a day to drive water turbines or utilise wave machines. The only reason wind turbines sprout up everywhere is they are over subsidised and wouldnt be viable without government support and money on our power bills.

Likewise why as technicians are we having to do paperwork exercises and jump through hoops to prove we can do the job? Because the bigger companies exert to much power in government and they dont want us involved. As a small company Ilooked at the potential returns on mcs etc and until theose in charge get there act together I couldnt see any, of thew companies I know of locally who have done all the changeover so far, the biggest one has just gone bust, 2 others are struggling now pv subsidies have changed and another one is giving it up as it hasnt helped them at all. You can say well they did it wrong but unless your in a high population area there just isnt the work or money out there at present. If nostrum is doing ok good for him, for the average contractor its just another waste of time, as mentioned a voucher scheme would be cheap to run and far far far more successful, probably to successful which is why it hasnt been used!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spoken with assesors, energy providers, accreditation people, installers already installing and manufacturers, its the new warm front. Most you'll get is £1500 from say glowworm but you have to buy boiler, flue and stats, pie fittings etc and flush, let's be fair by time you've got all materials you'll be left with £500-600 if lucky, if you want that to do boiler change and power flush you go for it

Sorry mate but your wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The Green Deal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock