Discuss The Renowned Company of Bodge'it and Scarper Ltd......... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Last Plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I suspect that the two original proprietors of said company are now deceased.

Their prowess does however continue to this day via their descendant workforce.

I personally feel that the workforce of the above is expanding at an alarming rate of knots.

I come across more and more poor quality workmanship.

Does anyone else find this, if so, what is the cause in your opinion?

Last edited:
Where does one begin? As they say on 'I'm a celebrity' etc, in no particular order...
  • School. Kids are not taught 'practical' skills as we were. They have no idea how things are made or how to use tools. When my 14 yr old was looking at high school we visited many. In one we saw the 'tech' teacher. I thought he was a pupil! Anyway in this classroom was a shaping machine, a milling machine and a lath along with 3D printer and a laser cutter. I asked said child whether they used the first three. Patronisingly he told me they were no longer needed... ****! So, I lifted the lid of the laser cutter and asked it how the main shaft was formed? "What do you mean?" it said. SO I pointed out the round nature of the shaft and the keyway machined into it. "Oh! Don't know" he bleated. I then took great delight in explaining very simply to teh rest of teh gathered audience how it was the machines 'no longer needed' that made it possible...
  • Manufacturers. Few make anything repairable these days. This means most today simply do not know how stuff works, They have never pulled it aprt to fix it and in doing so gleaned shed loads they later call upon often subconsciously.
  • Manufacturers Mk 2. THey treat people like dummies. Their MIs used to require you to think now they frighten the life out of people so no one experiments or tests anymore. I see it all the time on here. MIs are quoted like some kind of God like communication when much is shockingly poor from an engineering perspective.
  • Consumers. Every bu66er wants it for nothing. So it's bash it in in order to make a living. Few sit and think about the consequences of what they do on the things connected to.
  • Society. Do do anything not writtten down cos I might be sued! What a load of tosh. I've stood in court enough to know teh law is NOT stupid. Doing it just because it says so is NO excuse in teh eyes of the law if you should (experience wise) have known better.
Best stop before my blood boils over :mad:o_O:eek::D

I'll be honest here tho. There are jobs out there that in a perfect world I'd go back, rip out & start again. Perhaps you've come across them :eek:

I don’t actually think this is just related to”hands on “ skills.
I am having a nightmare at the moment with my local council and a housing association.
Everytime I ring or email , either nobody replies , say they will ring back , and if they do its a week or a fortnights wait , absolutely fed up at the moment.

The best thing that could happen in all work places is the mobile phone should be banned in works time. How can anybody concentrate on their job if they are constantly on facebook or texting all day .

I don’t actually think this is just related to”hands on “ skills.

The best thing that could happen in all work places is the mobile phone should be banned in works time. How can anybody concentrate on their job if they are constantly on facebook or texting all day .

This, IMHO, is all OUR fault. Yes the very MISOGS (miserable old gits) who complain (he says looking in the mirror) are the root cause of the problem...

What we have failed to do, through being over protective, is teach our kids that empathy is at the heart of good relationships and so good society. So, todays kids are narcissistic (think of themselves only). They are simply unaware of anyone else's existance.

Further, Social Media is the least social of any activity we can can engage in. Research has shown that genuine lonliness has risen in parallel with social media use and has reached epidemic proportions. The number of 'friends/followers' etc has zero bearing on an individual's lonliness status.

Reply to The Renowned Company of Bodge'it and Scarper Ltd......... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock