Discuss This week's plumbing mystery in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Can the hot a cold supplies be isolated independently of each other to each bathroom ? If the answer is no I would consider adding extra isolation points this will allow the sections of pipework to be isolated to find a mixing issue ? , it could also be that there's a major difference in supply pressure between the hot water and the incoming cold supply it can then overcome the hot supply and cause these sort of problems in shower mixing valves and taps.130° f is 54°c here in the UK we heat our stored water to 60 °c , 110°f is 43°c which is the setting shower manufacturers set their equipment to avoid scalding this is often not enough for some customers, a few things there to consider please keep us updated . Regards Kop

Just had another thought.
Some mixer taps have adjustments under the handle.
They restrict the lever from going to full hot water, so there will always be cold mixed in.

Can you post a pick of the mixer with the handle and shroud removed.
( Remove as much as you would as if you were going to change a cartridge - without turning the water off )

Just had another thought.
Some mixer taps have adjustments under the handle.
They restrict the lever from going to full hot water, so there will always be cold mixed in.

Can you post a pick of the mixer with the handle and shroud removed.
( Remove as much as you would as if you were going to change a cartridge - without turning the water off )
Like this Oz

Attachments

• 16134671737774222924216326702337.jpg
    16134671737774222924216326702337.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 12
Do you have mixer basin taps could be one of these passing
Yes, both showers have mixing cartridges. I have replaced both. No change.

If there's another tempering valve, we haven't found it. Maybe there's one in the attic or walls, but we don't know why one would be there--or where it is.

I guess we'll have to follow the plumbing from the hot water tank to every faucet and see where it goes from scalding to temperate. Does anyone here know if plumbers use heat-detecting cameras or tools, to "see" where water changes temperatures?

Thanks all.

Mike
l

Here's an update for all.

The plumber today followed the hot water from the tank and determined that the problem was indeed mixing valves in two lavatory sink faucets in the guest bathroom. By shutting off the water to those faucets, he found that hot water was then delivered to all others. I will be getting new cartridges for the two faucets and moving forward. He doesn't know which one is at fault but since they are both of the same vintage (over 10 years old), I will be replacing both.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. And sympathy. What a great resource this forum is.

Mike

Here's an update for all.

The plumber today followed the hot water from the tank and determined that the problem was indeed mixing valves in two lavatory sink faucets in the guest bathroom. By shutting off the water to those faucets, he found that hot water was then delivered to all others. I will be getting new cartridges for the two faucets and moving forward. He doesn't know which one is at fault but since they are both of the same vintage (over 10 years old), I will be replacing both.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. And sympathy. What a great resource this forum is.

Mike
Glad your making progress best of luck with it Regards Kop

Reply to This week's plumbing mystery in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I'm moving to a megaflow from a regular immersion heater set up. The house has several showers and at the moment they are fed by...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back