Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone ever used a multitool to cut through grout to remove tiles without breaking them? Is it easy? What blade do you use?

I've a couple of jobs tomorrow where I need to fake out tiles and I'm determined to get clean at removing them in one piece... If I can.

Tile Trader sell various blade attachments for multi-tools. Trying to remove a tile without breaking it is another story.. Good luck.

Tile Trader sell various blade attachments for multi-tools. Trying to remove a tile without breaking it is another story.. Good luck.
Tell me about it, I can rarely do it.. But at the moment I'm breaking the grout with a wood chisel and hammer and then breaking the tile, but I often chip the tile next to the ones I want to remove.. So looking for a neater way of doing it

Oscillates are good tools, but have always found the cost of the blades make it expensive for tile removal. Have had to cut the odd tile out without chipping the others, just make sure you don't go through the sub-structure and crack the tile into small bits your trying to remove.

Oscillates are good tools, but have always found the cost of the blades make it expensive for tile removal. Have had to cut the odd tile out without chipping the others, just make sure you don't go through the sub-structure and crack the tile into small bits your trying to remove.
I'm sure a builder I was on a job with once used a jigsaw to cut around the grout.. I'll just give it a go with a wood/metal blade on my multitool and see what happens haha worst case scenario is the builder has to replace a few extra tiles

Just try hitting the offending tile with a hammer, 9/10 times it will crack and be easily removed without affecting the surrounding tiles.

Just try hitting the offending tile with a hammer, 9/10 times it will crack and be easily removed without affecting the surrounding tiles.
I'll post a pic of the mess I make. ;)

Depending on who put the tiles on and how long they've been on for changes everything,

If the tiles have been put on right then getting them off can be a real pain, although I find drilling the centre of the tile then hitting it with a hammer works well

Angle grinder works really well to clear grout, can be dusty though. Hold a damp sponge on the cutting disc and it should stop the dust. Removing the grout will also reduce the risk of cracking the tile

The multitool is amazing for going round grout.. Didn't break any tiles today, removed 4.. Just used a segment wood/metal blade.. Its the way forward for me!!!

There is actually a carbide grout removal/tile cutting tool for a multi...

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/tools/...8?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-pta-_-multitoolaccs

Last edited:
I try a Stanley knife on the grout first, as sometimes it is weak.
I bought a set of multtool blades out of Lidl as I noticed it wasn't their normal set as this one had a very thin blade for removing grout. Really good job. Only cost about ÂŁ6 for whole set

There is actually a carbide grout removal/tile cutting tool for a multi...

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/tools/...8?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-pta-_-multitoolaccs
I've got it but its a little thick so doesn't do 2mm grout lines.. Plus its slower than a wood/metal blade And wears faster..

I either use a grout blade or a blunt wood one, they still cut through it even with no teeth left on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tile Removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock