Search the forum,

Discuss Tiny leaks in central heating system (drip... drip..) and how to find them. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gbsii

Hi guys,
When the house is quiet I can hear a drip under the floorboards upstairs in the en-suite and the main bathroom. The drips occur every 10 to 15 seconds all the time (more frequent when the central heating system is running). I suspect some faulty solder joint in the pipes.
These leaks have put a hold on plans to tile the two bathrooms.
The question is: where exactly are the leaks? Is there any way to find the source other than breaking holes in the ceiling from below on a best guess basis?
My doomsday scenario is to be paying somebody to trash the house looking for these leaks.
Is there any better way?
Cheers,
Brian

Hello Brian,
are there any stains developing on the ceiling?
can you not lift the floor boards to check what is happening?

I'd be asking the same regards stains ... Do you have a combi and are you having to keep topping up the pressure? If it's the bathroom above are you sure it isn't a tap, shower or toilet?

Are the dripping noises still there after the heating has been turned off for an hour or two? The noise you hear may be pipe movement which can sound like drips. If it's been going on for a while and there are no obvious signs of leaks i.e. water stains on ceilings then that would be my first thought.

Hi Simon,
Yes there are some stains on the ceiling below both areas.
May have bite the bullet and lift the floorboards (tongue and groove)!
Brian

lift the board and repair the leaks.... if your unsure how to do it yourself get a professional in.

Hi diamondgas,
Yes there are stains on the ceiling below both areas. I don't have a combi boiler - just an old Baxi 50 (c. 1995 vintage).
Don't think it's a tap, shower or toilet. Frequency of drips increases when the heating is on.
By the way, yes I did add a couple of bottles of Oxypic but still the drip..., drip...
Brian

Hi diamondgas,
Yes there are stains on the ceiling below both areas. I don't have a combi boiler - just an old Baxi 50 (c. 1995 vintage).
Don't think it's a tap, shower or toilet. Frequency of drips increases when the heating is on.
By the way, yes I did add a couple of bottles of Oxypic but still the drip..., drip...
Brian

Well your stains are a dead give away :) If the'yre directly below the radiators double check that the valves aren't passing and running down the pipe?

Yes,I agree. On balance, it's seem floorboard lifting is easier to fix up afterwards than replastering a ceiling.

Well your stains are a dead give away :) If the'yre directly below the radiators double check that the valves aren't passing and running down the pipe?

Good suggestion about the valves - I'll check them.
Thanks

The leak may be away from the stain if the ceiling slopes so check around

Inject Fernox Concentrated Leaksealer 4 into a radiators air valve, following the manufacturers easy to follow detailed instructions and it could stop your leak without having to uplift floor boards. Amazing stuff and I've fixed small leaks in heating systems with it any times. It's not cheap though at £26 a tube and you'll need a silicone gun at about £5 as well to apply it.

I may be completely wrong Sys, but I've steered away from chemical-based leak sealers after hearing they tend to gunk the pump up. Any truth in that? If I am wrong then I'll start using it :)

i've heard it was just a certain system cleanser that hid for pumps.

I may be completely wrong Sys, but I've steered away from chemical-based leak sealers after hearing they tend to gunk the pump up. Any truth in that? If I am wrong then I'll start using it :)
No JC, if you use the Fernox 4 you'll never clog up anything. In fact Fernox recommend that you use more than required rather than using less. A standard tube (looks like a tube of silicone) will do a system of up to 10 radiators. I've used the Fernox 4 on combi systems where the pressure was rapidly dropping and when refilled and having this added, the combi holds. Good too for sealing pin hole leaks in chrome towel rads, though I always add inhibitor separately as well.
Plumbfix sell Fernox Leaksealer for £26 per tube. It's not cheap but gets results and saves trying to trace a leak and lift floors! The cheaper alternatives don't work for me.

No JC, if you use the Fernox 4 you'll never clog up anything. In fact Fernox recommend that you use more than required rather than using less. A standard tube (looks like a tube of silicone) will do a system of up to 10 radiators. I've used the Fernox 4 on combi systems where the pressure was rapidly dropping and when refilled and having this added, the combi holds. Good too for sealing pin hole leaks in chrome towel rads, though I always add inhibitor separately as well.
Plumbfix sell Fernox Leaksealer for £26 per tube. It's not cheap but gets results and saves trying to trace a leak and lift floors! The cheaper alternatives don't work for me.
Hi system3,
Yes, using Fernox 4 would be worth trying. Just wondering have you used Oxypic from Dunsley Heat? I put two bottles worth in the system via the feed and expansion tank and the dripping continued. Would you regard Fernox 4 as more effective than Oxypic?
In any case, I have two tubes of Fernox Superconcentrate Cleaner 3 that I got for €5 each at the local B&Q. Would you recommend cleaning out the system first with Cleaner 3 to flush out the black Oxypic before injecting the Fernox Leak Sealer 4?
I've got a silicone gun, so just need to price the Leak Sealer 4 locally.
Thanks for your advice,
Brian

Hi system3,
Yes, using Fernox 4 would be worth trying. Just wondering have you used Oxypic from Dunsley Heat? I put two bottles worth in the system via the feed and expansion tank and the dripping continued. Would you regard Fernox 4 as more effective than Oxypic?
In any case, I have two tubes of Fernox Superconcentrate Cleaner 3 that I got for €5 each at the local B&Q. Would you recommend cleaning out the system first with Cleaner 3 to flush out the black Oxypic before injecting the Fernox Leak Sealer 4?
I've got a silicone gun, so just need to price the Leak Sealer 4 locally.
Thanks for your advice,
Brian
Yes, I'd flush it out first and then use the Fernox 4. Leave the heating on after injecting it so that it thoroughly circulates through the system.

Cheers for that Sys, I now have weapon in my arsenal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiny leaks in central heating system (drip... drip..) and how to find them. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock