Discuss Tiny leaks in central heating system (drip... drip..) and how to find them. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well your stains are a dead give away :) If the'yre directly below the radiators double check that the valves aren't passing and running down the pipe?

Good suggestion about the valves - I'll check them.
Thanks

The leak may be away from the stain if the ceiling slopes so check around

Inject Fernox Concentrated Leaksealer 4 into a radiators air valve, following the manufacturers easy to follow detailed instructions and it could stop your leak without having to uplift floor boards. Amazing stuff and I've fixed small leaks in heating systems with it any times. It's not cheap though at £26 a tube and you'll need a silicone gun at about £5 as well to apply it.

I may be completely wrong Sys, but I've steered away from chemical-based leak sealers after hearing they tend to gunk the pump up. Any truth in that? If I am wrong then I'll start using it :)

i've heard it was just a certain system cleanser that hid for pumps.

I may be completely wrong Sys, but I've steered away from chemical-based leak sealers after hearing they tend to gunk the pump up. Any truth in that? If I am wrong then I'll start using it :)
No JC, if you use the Fernox 4 you'll never clog up anything. In fact Fernox recommend that you use more than required rather than using less. A standard tube (looks like a tube of silicone) will do a system of up to 10 radiators. I've used the Fernox 4 on combi systems where the pressure was rapidly dropping and when refilled and having this added, the combi holds. Good too for sealing pin hole leaks in chrome towel rads, though I always add inhibitor separately as well.
Plumbfix sell Fernox Leaksealer for £26 per tube. It's not cheap but gets results and saves trying to trace a leak and lift floors! The cheaper alternatives don't work for me.

No JC, if you use the Fernox 4 you'll never clog up anything. In fact Fernox recommend that you use more than required rather than using less. A standard tube (looks like a tube of silicone) will do a system of up to 10 radiators. I've used the Fernox 4 on combi systems where the pressure was rapidly dropping and when refilled and having this added, the combi holds. Good too for sealing pin hole leaks in chrome towel rads, though I always add inhibitor separately as well.
Plumbfix sell Fernox Leaksealer for £26 per tube. It's not cheap but gets results and saves trying to trace a leak and lift floors! The cheaper alternatives don't work for me.
Hi system3,
Yes, using Fernox 4 would be worth trying. Just wondering have you used Oxypic from Dunsley Heat? I put two bottles worth in the system via the feed and expansion tank and the dripping continued. Would you regard Fernox 4 as more effective than Oxypic?
In any case, I have two tubes of Fernox Superconcentrate Cleaner 3 that I got for €5 each at the local B&Q. Would you recommend cleaning out the system first with Cleaner 3 to flush out the black Oxypic before injecting the Fernox Leak Sealer 4?
I've got a silicone gun, so just need to price the Leak Sealer 4 locally.
Thanks for your advice,
Brian

Hi system3,
Yes, using Fernox 4 would be worth trying. Just wondering have you used Oxypic from Dunsley Heat? I put two bottles worth in the system via the feed and expansion tank and the dripping continued. Would you regard Fernox 4 as more effective than Oxypic?
In any case, I have two tubes of Fernox Superconcentrate Cleaner 3 that I got for €5 each at the local B&Q. Would you recommend cleaning out the system first with Cleaner 3 to flush out the black Oxypic before injecting the Fernox Leak Sealer 4?
I've got a silicone gun, so just need to price the Leak Sealer 4 locally.
Thanks for your advice,
Brian
Yes, I'd flush it out first and then use the Fernox 4. Leave the heating on after injecting it so that it thoroughly circulates through the system.

Cheers for that Sys, I now have weapon in my arsenal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tiny leaks in central heating system (drip... drip..) and how to find them. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to this forum. I hope someone experienced out there can help me find the fix. We recently finished a building project and had a major...
Replies
Views
Hello, Can anybody please advise. For months now our old Ideal Mini HE C24 (combi boiler) has had pressure problems. It won't stay above 1 bar...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock