Search the forum,

Discuss Tips: Self Employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yogavo

I am close to getting a UTR Number while I am working on what I hope will be a 9 month contract.

Do any of you plumbers have any tips for going/being self-employed?

Please share.

if your working for a builder for several months taxman calls that employed as the definition of self employed looks at whether your providing materials etc so watch your back on this one

A nine month contract is a good opportunity if the money's ok.

Get advice from an accountant, your playing a dangerous game and don't know it.

If it's any help the builder will do OK out of an arrangement like that.

Charge him for a tube of mastic a week don't wear any uniform supplied unless you buy it, never put the words @ ÂŁ--- per DAY on an invoice and put one or 2 pj's on a proper invoice and you have just become your own risk and there for sit within the letters of the law. But can you live with it morally lol.

its fine if your working that contract and do other work for your own/other customers during the same period. If you do no other work then you may struggle to prove it if questioned.

if you work soley for on company for a long period you could be made to become an employee with them, but its a small risk tbh.

Last edited:
Also, a point to note on legalities of working for the same company for a long period of time is that it is the employers responsibility to determine your employment status.

Working for 1 employer for a nine month period exclusively does not automatically mean you should be employed, it depends on a whole host of factors, hence the employers responsibility.

The only person to gain from you being self employed is your employer as he will not have to give holiday pay / NI contribution / sick pay etc.

If you have a problem you should take it up with the employer first, and if your still not satisfied then an industrial tribunal would take place.

My favourite tip for anyone going self employed is:

If you want to make a small fortune, start with a large fortune.

A very tongue in cheek remark, of course. Wishing you the best of luck! It's not easy and it requires hard work but if you succeed then the best of luck to you!!!

The only person to gain from you being self employed is your employer as he will not have to give holiday pay / NI contribution / sick pay etc.

Actually, you should get holiday pay in a situation like this, even being self-employed.

This is exactly why some may like you to be like this - so that they can dodge all of the legal requirements of having an employee . . . .

You will be paid the same, you will just have none of the rights and entitlements!

Its like this if you sub onto building sites through agencies. You can be kicked off the job with no notice at all!

It you want a job with no security then go for it . . .

Hi all just after abit of advice really, I'm 24 and self employed, I did a 5 year apprenticeship and and after a few years out my time I left and went self employed as I didn't like my boss and wanted more money.
ive been self employed for nearly 2 years now an I don't no weather to carry on or take up a new job with some1. It's to stop start for me, 1 week I mite fit 2 boilers and then the next week I. MIte do a couple of little crappy jobs. Sometimes i can bank a load of money in a month and then the next not a lot. I no it evens out over the year but I just hate not having weeks of work booked in. I go to work most days but sometimes I'll have nothing until the night before.

This week I've fitted a boiler and done a couple of little jobs so I've made a good amount of money already and it's only Wednesday so I don't need to earn any more but the point being is that I hate not working or working half a day it just gets me down and I'm abit insecure when it comes to money. I don't advertise and something usually comes in but what I'd someday it never.

ive been offerd a job an just wandering weather or not to take it. The money is ok but it's working away a lot of the time an I have a wife and 2children. But it's in the renewable game so i would be learning something new other than just gas and plumbing.
Any advice would help cheers

Only you can really answer that one pal, weigh up the pros and cons, write them down on a list and that will give you a good indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tips: Self Employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a decent rate but, I have seen plumbers that are faster than I am. Any help would be appreciated.
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools transport etc. good day rates paid. potential for more work after this job. please get in touch. Regards Alex
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex. I am a ltd company thats been running for 12 years and am now looking to expand. Ideally im looking for someone who is self employed (or another ltd...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in London and the Southeast I'm looking for an experienced self employed engineer (or another ltd company like myself), own transport, tools etc. good rates...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, Happy new year! Hope this is OK in this part of the forum. Been a plumber for about 12 years now, mostly commercial stuff with some domestic and new builds here and there. Sole trader working for numerous different companies. Been thinking that maybe it's time I started my own...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock