Discuss Toilet pan doesn't clear.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Best suggested old pan's were designed to need 9 ltr's of water to clear pan most new syphons designed with water saving in mind ..OK if combined with modern pan....if you can clear the pan with a bucket of water I don't think you have enough water in the cistern what make is the replacement syphon....regards Turnpin:smile5:

Has the flush pipe to pan connection been pushed too far into the pan partially blocking the full flush

Ah, didn't know about the siphon thing. It is one I bought from my merchant, standar traditional looking siphon in the original cistern flushing a full 9 litres. I t all appears to be working as you'd expect however I can't vouch for how much power it produces. Like I said, it's a (probably) 1970's low level Royal Doulton pan and cistern set up that I removed, cleaned up and then fitted with a new flush pipe and siphon. I didn't realise you could push the pipe too far in so I could remove it and cut a bit off the end (don't want to move the pan really, new bathroom/tiles etc). I could also change the siphon if there is a recommendation for some having more oomph than others? The one I took out was a big old red thing with a knackered diaphragm!

With my limited knowledge of bogs I thought I was doing the right thing putting a whole new unit in..... Just found a site selling new ones, £45! Not sure what the difference is apart from the colour... Is there a 'best' and 'worst' brand wise for siphons?

I would also have said just change the syphon washer. Those old round syphons were the best and the fact that they are round means they kept their shape.

I would also have said just change the syphon washer. Those old round syphons were the best and the fact that they are round means they kept their shape.

where u get that info from?

where u get that info from?

I didn't get that info directly from the OP, but I thought it almost certain the original would be the round syphon. They nearly all were on old cisterns. Then he later said it had been a big old red syphon, which a lot of round type were.
Am I spelling syphon wrong? I think it can be spelt in two ways.

Edit, - just checked and seems I am correct. Syphon is a variant of the word Siphon. Both spellings are right. Syphon is also a noun and therefore a correct spelling for a cistern Syphon.
I thought maybe I had been spelling it wrong. :smile:

Last edited:
If you can clear the pan with a bucket of water, eg 10 litres, then you have either a flow issue from the siphon or you may need to check the air admittance to the soil stack is not blocked. To allow the toilet to flush air has to get into the waste pipe else a vacuum is created. Was your neighbours new connection to the sewer signed off by building controls? It's a notifiable job when you make new connections to the sewage system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet pan doesn't clear.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock