Search the forum,

Discuss Too young? :/ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killy Bing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
This has been playing on my mind a little bit and hit home last week.

i got sent to move a bayonet fitting (or self sealing plug for kirkgas) ;)

turned up and got refused entry with no explanation, i showed my gas card and said to contact the person i subcontract too but i just got sent away.

found out earlier this evening that it was due to my age!!
and several other customers haven't liked it either.

i'm 21 now and I'm just wondering on what you guys think about it?
and what ages you got qualified for gas at!

i'll get the drinks in, let me just run home and get my passport.... :)

Most don't mind, be confident and the customer will feel comfortable.
they smell fear.

I've never been refused but I've had the usual comments years ago when I was 19 and newly qualified that belittle you. The funny thing is most of the poor work I've seen has been from the old timers that can't keep up with new regs or are just to arrogant to accept change, or just rough as ****.

Ageism is one of the only discriminations that's still seen as acceptable these days. I still look young for my age but after 15 years of it I'm used to it and can turn it around quite quickly.

Don't beat yourself up over it, your not the one with the problem.

I've never been refused but I've had the usual comments years ago when I was 19 and newly qualified that belittle you. The funny thing is most of the poor work I've seen has been from the old timers that can't keep up with new regs or are just to arrogant to accept change, or just rough as ****.

Ageism is one of the only discriminations that's still seen as acceptable these days. I still look young for my age but after 15 years of it I'm used to it and can turn it around quite quickly.

Don't beat yourself up over it, your not the one with the problem.

said the ageist middle aged bloke:)

dial 0800 111 999 and tell them they refused entry and you can smell gas outside the property :eek:,never been refused entry to someones home so cant advise sorry

I think i might grow a beard!

touch frustrating!
Silly thing is i am confident as i know my stuff, if im unsure even 1% i double check!

I've met a select few other engineers and wondered how the hell they passed the acs!

But because they are middle age they are automatically seen as competent

When you get asked if you've been doing this for long I always like to reply that its my first week so fingers crossed.

I think i might grow a beard!

touch frustrating!
Silly thing is i am confident as i know my stuff, if im unsure even 1% i double check!

I've met a select few other engineers and wondered how the hell they passed the acs!

But because they are middle age they are automatically seen as competent

watch out or you'll have a chip on both shoulders!

Both chips are already filled ;)
the first....i'm short

the second

i'm shorter than john cropp :(

i actually prefer working with older guys.
My age group are a load of lazy so and so's

Shorter than croppie?!

Seriously?!?

Yup! Im about 5ft 2/3.

it all sounds useful for small spaces however the rugby player flipping shoulders means I'm worse off!

went to get out of a loft when i first started.
small hatch
shoulders wedged.
feet inches off the step ladder.

10minutes later and everyone had a photo of it....even the customers.

Certain older people expect to see the 50 something 'man from the gas board' type person I think with a blue boiler suit on and a canvas toolbag, and get all worried when the milky bar kid shows up.
I'm 35 and still get comments from old ladies that I don't look old enough to be running a business.

I just take it as a compliment!

maybe she wanted the guy you suby to to give her a special service?? :)

once I disconnected a gas fire in a house tennanted by a stunning young lady, when somebody else went back she answerd the door in her underwear but would not let them in because it was not me. i missed out :(

I've had it once before, I'm 25 but still look about 12! The customer emailed the house builder stating 'I do not want that boy back'. I did nothing wrong, they were nightmare customers, she looked like a troll, even had more facial hair than a chimp.

You should have seen her face when I was sent their next time, she couldn't look me in the face! Who had the upper hand then. Never know someone turn their attitude around so quickly.

I wouldn't let it get to you, just because you look young doesn't mean your not going to do a good job. I always tend to make a joke about it, normally puts the customer at ease and makes you feel better. Something like, not bad for a first attempt!

This has been playing on my mind a little bit and hit home last week.

i got sent to move a bayonet fitting (or self sealing plug for kirkgas) ;)

turned up and got refused entry with no explanation, i showed my gas card and said to contact the person i subcontract too but i just got sent away.

found out earlier this evening that it was due to my age!!
and several other customers haven't liked it either.

i'm 21 now and I'm just wondering on what you guys think about it?
and what ages you got qualified for gas at!

i'll get the drinks in, let me just run home and get my passport.... :)

Dont worry, in time this will sort itself

And why is it ok for an old lady to call you cock. But if a bloke in a pub does it he's bang out of order!?

305045_105962572846625_100002986484738_46628_1199203719_n.jpg
maybe she wanted the guy you suby to to give her a special service?? :)

once I disconnected a gas fire in a house tennanted by a stunning young lady, when somebody else went back she answerd the door in her underwear but would not let them in because it was not me. i missed out :(

it could have been u :)

I'm 26 and have been working for myself for three years now. I have never been refused entry because of my age, infact the comment I had about my age was "how do you know so much when you are still so young?". That was after I fixed an issue that 3 previous plumbers had failed to fix.

Well after today i have three full ch systems to quote for
a combi swap and other little bits and bobs

all we need is a little faith aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Too young? :/ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Hi, the water in my bathtub has been draining really slowly recently. I investigated it today and there was a large build up of gunk right under...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock