Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Tracpipe?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

got a bloke coming from oldham on thursday from tracpipe to give me and my boss a 40 minute training session on tracpipe for wich we get a certificate at the end( what for i dont know).

has anyone used this in installtions, whats the pro's n cons as ive always used copper obviously.

answers on a postcard plz.

the pros are you can fit very long lengths without joins, therefore it could be slightly quicker, (although i am a plumber so i can solder straight couplings to a high standard very quickly) it has an insulated cover so in some cases it will offer slightly better protection, the cons are you need a wheel pipecutter with a blade for stainless which is expensive and doesnt last that long, if/when you need fittings they are very expensive, and also people tend to not clip it often enough and sling it in anywhere to save lots of time, at the end of the day i dont think there is much in it either way, but as an oldie i prefer copper. i have done the training and as i work in a college i have done the assessor course to allow me to train others, it is very very straight forward

If you have long runs to do,like up a few floors or large conversions,it is great but for normal dwellings use copper
The price of it has come down,however you still have to buy in large rolls,would help if merchants sold by the meter,much like you can buy cable cut to the length required to cut down of any potential expensive wastage

imho

thanks lads, dont actually like the thought of using it, would rather use copper myself, but if there comes a day when i have to use it i will let you all know how i get on. cheers

What a waste of 40 minutes that will be. If you can work a stanley knife without having your hand off, work a set of pipe cutters, tighten a nut and wrap a bit tape you have passed.

Pro's
Can be fitted by a 2 year old
Quick to fit
Can be cabled
It is light weight and easy to handle
Comes in long length reels
No hot work required
Can be buried in screeds without further protection
No one wants to nick it after it is fitted
It is yellow, so easy to distinguish

Cons
It is expensive. 22mm @ around ÂŁ8/metre + vat
There are a limited range of fittings and the fittings are extortionate. 22 male iron around ÂŁ9, 22 trac union ÂŁ18, 22 trac tee ÂŁ26.
The tape is expensive too @ around ÂŁ18/roll
It needs plenty clips for support
22 is about the same size as 28 copper

You may notice all of the above pros are especially suited to new build and ind/comm which is where most of it gets fitted. Not many cons except the price. It IS good stuff but too expensive to be realistically considered on ordinary domestic work.
A times are hard on the new builds they must be looking to expand into the domestic market. They will need to cut the price more for that to work.

We always buy it by the roll in all sizes and keep it until the next job comes along.
I can remember having to run a 32mm pipe through an old property, so it was ideal and saved a fortune rather than copper.

Thing is what you save in cost with a quicker installation you pay for in increased materials costs.

If I am going to charge a customer X amount for a job the more I can get in my pocket and the less is the pockets of anyone else the better.

i,e, id rather the customer spent more of their money on my time/labour fitting copper than they did some fancy pipe.

That said it is easy for supplying gas to swimming pool boilers.

I'd use it for long runs thru screed any day. No chance of a joint failing in the screed. Also, if an idiot drilled thru the screed & spiked it, then I won't have to look far for the problem.

That said. I normally use copper. But sometimes only the right tool for the job will do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tracpipe?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock