Currently reading:
TRVs

Discuss TRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twinkydrip

I know this is basic for most of you out there but can you please advise me as to why when I turn the TRVs in the bedrooms in my house to zero or the frost sign there is maximum output of heat from the radiators!! How can I turn the heat off on these radiators? Are all these TRVs faulty or does the system need balancing? Please help.:eek:

Trvs are faulty, prob the head has gone, some makes you can get just a replacement head, but prob cheaper getting & fitting complete trv.

Yes , Ok if it has burst , I agree . I have never seen one go that way but OK

Just as an add on ; many years ago we were commisioning a system 8 trvs . We normally flush etc with the heads off and fit the heads at the end with nice clean hands .
One of the lads had put all the heads on top of a double convected rad for safe keeping Every head had overextended its capsule , 8 new Trvs required !! They dont like sitting on top of a rad at 80 deg

Last edited:
trvs dont turn off, they just go to cold, but if the rooms cold?? guess what they turn on. they are not on and off valves

Of course they turn off . Past frost protection (then sometimes past the stop) to off . Its down that far that the capsule is inoperative
Granted that is not how they operate in normal use , but they have an off.

British gas ones have an off but all the ones i have come across need the special cap put on to turn them off completely

Of course they turn off . Past frost protection (then sometimes past the stop) to off . Its down that far that the capsule is inoperative
Granted that is not how they operate in normal use , but they have an off.

Yes I Agree with this

TRV's in my house isolate completely. Also took a friends rad off the wall last week by isolating TRV and lockshield.

TRV's in my house isolate completely. Also took a friends rad off the wall last week by isolating TRV and lockshield.

oooooooh you're brave Graham! I was removing rads in parliament buildings in belfast for the rooms to be redorated..... Or rather I left it to my apprentice......

as we were getting in the van I asked if he'd stuck female iron caps over the valve ends just in case the valves let by. No need he replied. TRV's and lockshields are holding ok. I dragged him out of the van and back up to the 3rd floor where a couple of puddles (water, not our esteemed administrator!) were collecting.

Yep, trvs turned to frost setting, cold day and windows were open.

Anyway, capped off the valves, mopped up the water and he went home with a large boot print on the back of his strides!

We all learned that one the hard way. Even still cap the ones with the supposed positive off as i don't trust them.

Thats what i meant, i only ever seen the British gas ones with a proper off and that was last week. Still put a cap on them though

To be honest Croppie I never gave it much thought about the TRV failing. Not had a mishap so far, but good tip about capping off.
Will remember that for future. Cheers!

not all trv's turn off, that why you get a decorators cap.
THEY DONT ALL TURN OFF, they turn down, very different

But surely Fuzzy,if the the rad is on the frost setting it should not be as hot to touch ie fliipin hot, than when the rad is on the number 5 setting?? which is what is happening.

The TRV setting does not alter the temperature of the radiator , it will be the same temperature what ever it is set at, it is the room temp that closes the valve

a thermo stat is a stat a positve off is when its at the temp its set to not a a constant any one that leaves a thermostatic valve shut with no rad on it or not capped is a mug end of

Thank you Toddyplumb. I will keep my bedroom window closed from now on (yuk) and hopefully that will decrease the temp of the flippin rad.

It doesnt adjust the temp of the rad? it shuts the rad off when the room reaches the desired temp. its not like a fire control, turn it on 5 bars is hotter than turning it onto 1 bar. it is a reflection of the room temp.

I went to a office once, the lady said the rad wasnt working, her office was red hot, i explained, the week after i was called back, i had to tell her not to put her coat over the trv which was contributing to this. she wouldnt have it so i took the trv head off so the heat got through. i was called back a week later, as she couldnt turn the heat off?????????????????????? typical

Endless custard complaints about cold rads....

"The radiators are cold, it must be cold in here!"

"Eh? It's like a blast furnace, are you mad?"

"But the radiator's cold!"

"Yeah because your room's up to temp, you've got a TRV which shut's off this radiator when your rooms hot enough....."

"But the room's not hot!"

"How do you reckon that then?"

"Because this radiator's cold!"

"Sigh!"

And on, and on, and on...........

"Yeah because your room's up to temp, you've got a TRV which shut's off this radiator when your rooms hot enough....."

"Sigh!"

lol, thats exactly it, how many times????? i have the same issues explaining room stats, or on/off switches as customers think they are!!!!!!!!!

Gee thanks for all your amusing posts....made me giggle a few of them. I do understand how Joe Public seems to think TRVs have 'on/off switches' but.....when my bedroom was very warm during the those hot summer days and the rad was turned to frost setting, and the programmer in hallway was set to low temp, the rad in bedroom was red hot!!!!

"Sigh!"

Try fitting a boiler with weather compensation, the custards cant understand that the house is up to temp and that the rads shouldnt be red hot.

Instead of replaceing the valve you could get a Thermostat service tool and just replace the insert that is failing.
These tools allow you to remove the insert (whilst the system is fully pressurised) and then fit the new insert.
It takes approx 5 mins per rad.
Best thing since PTFE!!!!

Just googled that. Only found one specifically for honeywell valves. Interesting bit of kit though.

I've been using one i got from hertz valves. Didn't believe the girl on the phone when she said how it woked!!#
It is great... you must crack (loosen) the faulty insert before attaching tool if you dont do this the tool unscrews itself (the only grumble)
Inserts cost me 80p job takes 5 mins no mess at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRVs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock