Search the forum,

Discuss Tundish overflowing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gillykms

Hello,

Hoping for some help!

We noticed a couple of weeks ago that there was a leak in the cupboard beneath the boiler. Upon further investigation and a little Googling I can confirm that the 'tundish' is completely full of water which doesn't seem to be draining away, or if it is then only very slowly. I have used a couple of hard wires and a hose to push down into it to see if any blockages but they only got down to the bottom and wouldn't go round the bend.

We had the boiler serviced 3 months ago and since then it does seem to be making funny noises when a hot bath is being filled. I took a look and the amount of water dripping out from the tundish is quite a lot when the bath is running. Even if it was a lot of water surely gravity would say it should be draining away regardless?

Now something else, which I'm wondering could it be connected somehow? My partner said yesterday he thought that our clothes from the washing machine smelled like onions. I had a look today and took the u-bend off the kitchen sink and it absolutely stinks....like onions!

Could these 2 things be connected? We are not having any issues with the sink itself, and the washing machine is working fine. Looking at the pipes today the sink and the one that connects into the tundish both seem to meet up somewhere behind the kitchen cupboards where I assume they go outside.

To confirm a few more details I live in a 7th floor flat, 6 years old and the boiler is an Atmos InterCombi HE32. (Not a Sentinel X100 which I put in my original post which was just what I read on the sticker on the front of it!)

Any advice appreciated!

Gilly

Last edited by a moderator:
Sentinel X100 will be the inhibitor in the system. To be honest you will probably need agas Safe engineer out to re-pipe it and ensure that it is installed to manufacturers instructions.

Hi Riley,

Thanks for your reply.

Having read up on this Sentinel X100 Inhibitor I can see that is now not the brand of my boiler, I just read that on a sticker! It's an Atmos InterCombi HE32.

Does my problem sound to you like there is a blockage somewhere?

Thanks
Gilly

Hi Riley,

Thanks for your reply.

Having read up on this Sentinel X100 Inhibitor I can see that is now not the brand of my boiler, I just read that on a sticker! It's an Atmos InterCombi HE32.

Does my problem sound to you like there is a blockage somewhere?

Thanks
Gilly

Hi,

Below is a photo of the pipework that comes from below the boiler. The tundish is full to the brim with water.

IMG_3198.jpg

Then in the cupboard to the right of that is the sink and this is the pipework there.

IMG_3203.jpg

That's about all I can take photos of as everything else is behind the cupboards.

Gilly

Hi,

Below is a photo of the pipework that comes from below the boiler. The tundish is full to the brim with water.

View attachment 28693

Then in the cupboard to the right of that is the sink and this is the pipework there.

View attachment 28694

That's about all I can take photos of as everything else is behind the cupboards.

Gilly

The tundish takes the condensate from boiler and will join with other waste pipes in property. At some point there will be a U bend or trap to prevent smells coming from tundish. This trap needs clearing so condensate will flow away.
Just seen photo. Need to take plinth off below kitchen unit to trace pipework where it disappears from view. Temporary fix: Cut out pipework below tundish either side of U bend and catch condensate in large plastic bucket,empty daily. Cut square and 100mm clear of joints so 32mm pipework can be reconnected using two straight compression couplings. Also allows for checking blockage in bend but I suspect problem is further downstream.

Last edited:
Your boiler should have its own condense trap, it looks like a clear trap hanging down from the bottom left of the boiler.

have you got a photo of this?

Thanks very much for the advice so far. We have cut off the bottom of the pipe under the tundish so at least it is now running into a bucket.

By the looks of things we will need to take out the whole kitchen unit and the one next to it in order to get the bottom of the cupboard up!

Ch4 - below is a photo of the bottom of my boiler, taken from below looking up. I hope this makes sense. There isn't anything hanging down from what I can see.

IMG_3209.jpg

Looks like I will need to call the professionals in!

Gilly

Cut out U bend 75mm up from where pipe disappears through bottom of cupboard and use spring drain rod,(Similar to net curtain spring), to attempt clearance of any down stream blockage. Remove plinth under cupboard and trace pipe run before removal of cupboards. Often pipe can be accessed from a more convenient point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tundish overflowing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock