Currently reading:
Un-vented installs

Discuss Un-vented installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris watkins

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi All
Have you any idea's why it is that 75% + of all the un-vented hot water installs I go to, are incorrect & do not meet Part G Building reg's (& I have seen a lot in my time) don't get me wrong some are silly things like discharge pipes too long or running up hill but others are down right dangerous. Why is it so difficult to get these right ?????

and how the B***hell do Building Control or NHBS sign them off ??????

[You'll remember the polystels then :lol:]

My favourite was the bloke who wanted a secondary return tapping in one of these & stuck a Surrey in the side !!
It didn't last long surprisingly.

You rules do not apply up here i'm afraid. I can assure you i am legal with a yearly certificate to prove it.
I know that the max D1 has changed to 600mm. Rules and regs are my hobby after the plumbing (i'm a sad workaholic bstd). There are a few things needing changed with the writing of the unvented regs as they are no longer valid but change will come ...........slowly. An extra 100mm D1 is the least of what needs changed.
What concerns me more is the formality of getting a ticket (any ticket). Pay the money and you have it

Sorry to all our countrymen north of the boarder on the By-law scheme, it is me not checking the Locations. Do you not have to re-new yours every 5 years ??

+
I know the regs as well as you do Kirk and i will spend my 200 elsewhere. There is no need for me to spend it on an unvented ticket (G3 is not valid up here as you know so i'll not call it that) when i'm a member of a certain class of persons :wink:

Btw that OF Elan is still cluttering up my garden :lol: I've resisted the temptation to get £15 quid for the HE. I'll drop it off some day :smile:

i would suggest as someone working in the field that you know the regs BETTER than me, haha
i will take the boiler whenever it suits you

NO,NO now it is 600mm, not done the reassessment yet then Gray ??
& Sorry AW, I teach this sh*t, it is all in the G3 so should not need to prove to building "I don't know what what an un-vent cylinder is", control.

i thought have to prove the material you are going to use is capable of withstanding the temps. So my old firm would give BC or NHBC information of the install design, material data sheets etc.... and ask for written approval that the intended work was suitable. I guess you could collect all relevent information that proves compliance and attach it to the cylinder benchmark/instructions? or handover pack. I think my old company possibly did it the way it did so they could easily show the work complied if any questions were aked down the line.

either way if the material has to be shown to be suitable i guess you have to be able to prove this if ever asked. Not that most BC guys would probably know anything about what material is suitable anyway.

im unsure what has changed on this since 2010.

Last edited:
I'm doing my reassessment on unvented this coming Friday, it'll be interesting to learn what's changed.

So apart from the pots & larger,
D1 now 600mm as I said.
You can run into a soil stack as long as it through a HepVo trap & then in push fit plastic (polybutalene PB, you know B&Q special or Cross-linked polyethylene PE-X) but it must be continuously marked along its length NO SANITARY WARE TO BE CONNECTED & clipped every 300mm.
All hot water systems are now covered by part G
& there's more.

At least I'll be learning sumfink I suppose.
Mind you Chris, I could have saved myself £230 + travelling + loss of potential earnings and just posted a question on a forum. Lol

Where are you going to take it ?
The one I use is £142.70 inc for the Re Assessment, I would cancel & re book, Can't help with the travelling (but loss of what earnings, are you sure ?) O, the other thing I can help you with is that very picture they show you needs to have insulation added to the pipework around the cylinder (1M under Part L)

Last edited:
Cheers Chris, I'm doing the full day 'training and assessment', I always do that cos someone always knows more than I do eventually and realistically
How much potential work will I want to do after 8 hours in a training centre.
Besides my Pot Noodle and Tesco lager will be beckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Un-vented installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock