Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor piped heating for suspended wood floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrizio72

I am having a dilemma at the moment as I want the whole ground floor of the house heated under floor. The extension we are having built will be tiled and have plumbed under floor heating installed but the rest of the ground floor is a suspended wooden floor, living room and hallway. My question is how difficult is it to do, is it very effective as I am unsure how heat will effectively travel through multiple layers of wood efficiently, and finally will it be very expensive?

Many thanks
Patrick

My house is awesome and has suspended wooden floors tiled and stripped 150 year old boards too.

example based of 8*2 joists.

SCREW ( not nail) batten to joists so that it bottom flush with bottom of joist. Then cut celotex 90mm ish to space between joists and push down so it rests on battens.

Next fit noggins at 600mm from walls so top of noggin flush with top of insulation. Lay pipe in between joists and use noggins for wrap over clips to help form bends use staples rest of way.

Mix weak 10:1 screed and fill above insulation to top of joists.

Screw down 9mm ply to joists.

Lay on boards and run heating for 5 months

Then nail them in to place sand fill and varnish.

Floor will be amazing.

Thanks for all your help. It needs to be run for 5 months before the boards can be nailed down? roughly how much did it all cost?

Need to get moisture content stable in timber if you nail boards and heat they will crack like rays diet restrain in a cheese farm.

Well

Insulation £30 and timber 30m2 ish
Pipes £300
Manifold blending kit £300

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I see what you mean about the moisture, I'm guessing the same would apply to engineered wood flooring too. Would the ply not distort too though?

Ply is dry and cross grained also it's screwed down. Check engineered floor- that's usually floating anyway. But the base layer - foam or what ever may need to be suited to ufh!!!

The base layer on engineered wood flooring is like a sandwich of ply wood underneath the layer of real wood, I have found ones which are suitable for underfloor heating but not sure about the screed moisture issue as they're not nailed to the floor but merely locked and glued together

Just stack them in room for a few weeks. The screed is dry. U use just building sand - preferably dense red sand and cement . NO added water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor piped heating for suspended wood floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock