Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual tap body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones82

Gas Engineer
I'm repairing an old tap for a customer, around 25 years old. Its the standard tap washer body but unusually has a square head for the tap shroud to sit on, similar to the head on a lock shield valve but bigger. The tap is ornate brass with a screw and cover that sits on top of the shroud, kind of hard to describe!

The problem isn't with any of this but with the washer housing at the bottom, at some point in the past some muppet has replaced the housing with a generic tap reviver one, which is now too large/deep to sit in the tap body. Resulting in no flow of water, when the tap is fully open, every washer I try is too big/thick. My question is, does anyone know a smaller washer housing?

I'm thinking of buying a few reviver kits and hoping one has a smaller housing that will fit this tap, I'll remove the old housing and wind the new one into the valve.

The tap is very unusual and matches the suite, so impossible to change.

Thanks

Nope sorry, tap housing could also be called a seating for the washer.

Imagine a normal tap valve, the bit at the bottom where the washer fits onto.

I'm visioning it :) but struggle to see how it used to work but now doesn't. You could try a plumbers merchant and ask to see as many as you can (they love customer's like that). Purchases the tap revivers could be an expensive trial and error

Not use a reducing bush and smaller tap reviver? Or split a tap washer in half?

Are you sure the new works someone has fitted haven't came apart inside?
By that I mean, the washer part is too low due to the threaded part of spindle being too far up usually because the bottom internal O ring has worn letting water inside the works?

Try and get someone to fire up a picture for you it really would help us to help you regards Turnpin:punk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unusual tap body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
I need to replace 4 ÂĽ turn ceramic valves for a second hand kitchen tap set - two taps. The current ones are dripping. These are marked X17C, and have a threaded collar. I've been to two local reputable plumbers merchants with the old valve and the head and cover to assist in fitting. No-one has...
Replies
Views
I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever type. For some reason the hot water running on the new single lever mono mixer tap is slow flowing compared to the old ones. The cold water running...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock