Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Unvented cylinder waste in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, 1st fixing a house. Im looking at the blow valve for an unvented cylinder There's no external wall near the hotpress so I'm gonna run a waste pipe under the floor. It'll have a tundish so they can see if it's discharging.

What I'm wondering is if I can then tee that waste in with the pipe for the sink and washing machine?

I guess I'm really asking if the boiling water, if discharged can damage pvc pipes? Last thing I want is it to melt a pipe that moves as much water as a sink does

No you cant has to be a home run and has to be either mupvc or pushfit

Are you qualified to do the work? Questions you should know are being asked.
I want to make sure. We usually just run the blow off valve with 22mm copper and a tundish into a 35mm pvc pipe. Just upvc and that runs into a drain on the boiler house floor.

I've never done it in a house so I want to be sure, I'll ask a million stupid questions if it means getting a job done right.

Have you got your unvented book?
There are a few pages with ways to properly terminate the PRV, type of pipe and size needed depending on the situation.

No. I've only worked on them in commercial boiler rooms. I've been using the cibses guide but I'll have a look and see if they offer that course in Ireland.

You've demonstrated to me at least you're not an idiot but you shouldn't be installing/working on unvented cylinders if you don't carry the qualifications. I used to be G3 but not right now, so I myself am not fully up to date on the legal requirements for safe discharge. If you're going to undertake work like this on a regular basis I would as you say invest in the appropriate course. At the end of the day you wouldn't feel comfortable letting someone without the credentials touching a fuel burning appliance would you and unvented cylinders are a ticking time bomb if not done properly.
I dont doubt you, im just giving you a healthy nudge 👍.

You've demonstrated to me at least you're not an idiot but you shouldn't be installing/working on unvented cylinders if you don't carry the qualifications. I used to be G3 but not right now, so I myself am not fully up to date on the legal requirements for safe discharge. If you're going to undertake work like this on a regular basis I would as you say invest in the appropriate course. At the end of the day you wouldn't feel comfortable letting someone without the credentials touching a fuel burning appliance would you and unvented cylinders are a ticking time bomb if not done properly.
I dont doubt you, im just giving you a healthy nudge 👍.
That's fair, Maybe I'm not giving this part if the job the respect it needs.

In the past I've gotten someone in to commission my installs. I don't take chances, wouldn't be asking for advice if I did.

I found a course provider over here but I'll see if there's another way. Stuart Turner do a whole house booster pump, that might work too, I'll have a look.

That's fair, Maybe I'm not giving this part if the job the respect it needs.

In the past I've gotten someone in to commission my installs. I don't take chances, wouldn't be asking for advice if I did.

I found a course provider over here but I'll see if there's another way. Stuart Turner do a whole house booster pump, that might work too, I'll have a look.
I appreciate that you’ve come to ask for advice rather than just throwing it in, as many would do.

But I frown on this general attitude of I’ll install it (unvented/boilers/gas), and get someone to sign it off.
It devalues the whole industry.
It lowers the expected cost of certain works as unqualified people will typically complete the install at a lower cost as they don’t have to consider training/retraining costs.
If all costs go down, where do I/the industry find the money to bring on and train up new apprentices.
Everything done that devalues our trade, has a knock on that perhaps we don’t always feel, but the next generation does.

I pay training costs, subscriptions to industry related publications, competency schemes to hopefully help the new guys.

Anyways, that my rant for the evening.

I hope you book the training, good luck with passing.

I appreciate that you’ve come to ask for advice rather than just throwing it in, as many would do.

But I frown on this general attitude of I’ll install it (unvented/boilers/gas), and get someone to sign it off.
It devalues the whole industry.
It lowers the expected cost of certain works as unqualified people will typically complete the install at a lower cost as they don’t have to consider training/retraining costs.
If all costs go down, where do I/the industry find the money to bring on and train up new apprentices.
Everything done that devalues our trade, has a knock on that perhaps we don’t always feel, but the next generation does.

I pay training costs, subscriptions to industry related publications, competency schemes to hopefully help the new guys.

Anyways, that my rant for the evening.

I hope you book the training, good luck with passing.
My (narrow) view was that the commissioner gets his money and he points out any faults for me to fix.

I'll take what you said into account. I have my tool kit built up so training was always going to be the next investment. Its just a matter of seeing what I'll get the most use out of

My (narrow) view was that the commissioner gets his money and he points out any faults for me to fix.

I'll take what you said into account. I have my tool kit built up so training was always going to be the next investment. Its just a matter of seeing what I'll get the most use out of
You know, I’m not the qualification police, just wanted to put my opinion out there and hopefully a few more guys/girls will go and get the qualifications that they’re capable of.

I came across a two course, hopefully a slot opens up or I'll have to wait for the next one.

How have ye found the course? Is it fairly straightforward.

Honestly when I first thought about unvented cylinders I didn't see much of a difference between them and a sealed system.

I came across a two course, hopefully a slot opens up or I'll have to wait for the next one.

How have ye found the course? Is it fairly straightforward.

Honestly when I first thought about unvented cylinders I didn't see much of a difference between them and a sealed system.
There’s nothing hard about it. They’re primarily ensuring you understand the safety aspect.

You're right, not much different, just a few more regs about discharge etc (really, what you’re asking about lol).

Reply to Unvented cylinder waste in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented...
Replies
Views
Dear all, I recently got a gas engineer installed a new boiler and an unvented cylinder & expansion vessel in my house, replaced the old boiler...
Replies
Views
HI everyone, I'm looking for some thought/opinions on what could be causing issues with noise and pressure since having a pressurised un-vented...
Replies
Views
Hello all I'm replacing 2 unvented cylinder a which are (a) end of life and (b) installed in a way which is clearly not right (no 2 port shut off...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock