Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Electric Water Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skelly87

Am i correct in thinking that im not allowed to touch any unvented water heater of over 15litres in size without my unvented card?? I think rules surrounding these heaters are a joke anyway. I think you should need the card for all unvented heaters regardless of size. Still potential for explosion

correct my friend ! G3 unvented ticket
But im allowed to install unvented below 15litres?? As i qualify as a 'competant' person. What a joke tht is. Anyone could think tht they are 'competant' enough to complete the job

yes but i think they justify competent by belonging to one of the competent person schemes etc

Who can be considered a competent person?
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]"Competent" persons should possess a current Registered Operative identity card for the installation of UVHWSS issued by organisations such as the Institute of Plumbing or the Construction Industry Training Board, following assessment by a recognised training body.

[DLMURL]http://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B24F5B8F-4B8D-43A7-B144-D557F40CE3A6/0/050Unventedho****erstoragesystems.pdf[/DLMURL]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Who can be considered a competent person?
"Competent" persons should possess a current Registered Operative identity card for the installation of UVHWSS issued by organisations such as the Institute of Plumbing or the Construction Industry Training Board, following assessment by a recognised training body.

[DLMURL]http://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B24F5B8F-4B8D-43A7-B144-D557F40CE3A6/0/050Unventedho****erstoragesystems.pdf[/DLMURL]
What does that mean then mate? Am i in the wrong if i install a small unvented heater. I work for a large company in the uk. I have city and guilds plumbing quals but nothing to do with unvented. I understand the theory involved within the small heaters but this is no excuse if i need quals to install. If this is the case i will get sorted asap

Last edited by a moderator:
well a competent persons organisations such as Home - CIPHE

but i really dont think you need to join it to fit one of the small units. sombody will correct me etc i hope if i am wrong.

if your going through all the hassle of looking up the quals and are willing to do it then do the unvented course mate. its just another cert that you have under your belt.

The following is an extract from Building Reg's AD Part G 2010, pages 21 & 22
The safety and performance of an un-vented system is dependent on the choice of system and safety devices appropriate for the location and correct installation of the system.Building owners and occupiers should therefore take care to choose installers who have the necessary skills to carry out this work. These skills can be demonstrated for example, by registration with a competent person scheme for this type of work or by the holding of a current registered operative skills certification card for un-vented hot water systems.

You must hold a current Hot Water (un-vented) card having attended a training & assessment centre.

3.41 The installation of an un-vented system is notifiable building work which must be notified to the BCB before work commences. The BCB may then check to make sure the work is safe and meets current energy efficiency requirements.

The customer / property owner can do this by completing a building notice with there local Building Control Body before work starts (10 working days) (£275-280)

3.42 If the installer is registered with acompetent person scheme for the installation
of unvented hot water systems it will not benecessary for the work to be notified in advanceto the
BCB. Installers registered with suchschemes will self-certify that the work complieswith all relevant requirements in the BuildingRegulations and the building owner/occupierwill be given a building regulations certificate
of compliance which is usually issued by thecompetent person scheme operator.

There seem to be a lot of confusion as to what is required, hope this helps.

BTW 15 Litre units do not need to be notified but have to be installed & maintained by a competent person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Electric Water Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock