Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Unvented tank drip trays.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve never seen an unvented tank (or any tank) in the UK installed on a drip pan. This is pretty common in the US though. As someone who’s unvented tank in the loft leaked (through a cracked immersion element unit) and flooded a bedroom below it seems like a simple safety precaution...

[IMG]

Is there some good reason why this isn’t common practice. Plumbing the outflow from the pan into an overflow like the tundish is plumbed into seems pretty straightforward.

TBH no reason but me personally I think it should be done

No word of a lie, my old boss tried producing the product. Just simple square plastic trays with a connection for overflow pipe, also for properties with central tanks He had an alarm system that would go off if water entered the tray. He couldn't get a patent on it due to similar items overseas but he did spend a few thousand getting some samples made. He spoke to loads of merchants like plumb centre, Travis Perkins etc. He even contacted home insurers to to see if it would be something they would push on homeowner in the event of a tank leak. And no one was interested in selling the product.

I guess the unvented manufacturers don’t push it because it would imply their products might fail. In the US the aluminium trays see to be the way instead of plastic because they can take the tank weight and don’t warp when hot water actually fills them during a leak.

Can’t actually seem to buy them in the UK though. Have to ship it from the US at vast expense relative to the cost of the product. Unless anyone knows a UK supplier?

No word of a lie, my old boss tried producing the product. Just simple square plastic trays with a connection for overflow pipe, also for properties with central tanks He had an alarm system that would go off if water entered the tray. He couldn't get a patent on it due to similar items overseas but he did spend a few thousand getting some samples made. He spoke to loads of merchants like plumb centre, Travis Perkins etc. He even contacted home insurers to to see if it would be something they would push on homeowner in the event of a tank leak. And no one was interested in selling the product.
Shame there’s no interest. I’m sure leaks are rare, but a £20 tray like this would have saved me £££ in cleanup, dehumidifying, carpets, ceilings....

Also - maybe for the unvented forum - given the price of the manufacturers immersion element I wouldn’t have expected it to spring a leak from some kind of pinhole after only 18months....

Can get them easy

I’ve never seen an unvented tank (or any tank) in the UK installed on a drip pan. This is pretty common in the US though. As someone who’s unvented tank in the loft leaked (through a cracked immersion element unit) and flooded a bedroom below it seems like a simple safety precaution...

Is there some good reason why this isn’t common practice. Plumbing the outflow from the pan into an overflow like the tundish is plumbed into seems pretty straightforward.

I think the reason they would be popular in the US and Canada is because many hot water cylinders are just mild steel tanks with a flame at the bottom and a tube up the middle which connects to the flue. They run until they start to leak, which is usually about 10 years, if you remember to change the sacrificial anode regularly.

I guess the unvented manufacturers don’t push it because it would imply their products might fail. In the US the aluminium trays see to be the way instead of plastic because they can take the tank weight and don’t warp when hot water actually fills them during a leak.

Can’t actually seem to buy them in the UK though. Have to ship it from the US at vast expense relative to the cost of the product. Unless anyone knows a UK supplier?
6.5.24 TO-PLUMBERS FORUMS. From UK. Not Spell Chked.The people who suggest drip trays under loft hot water cyls are correct. Yes this country is backward in many respects. what a scandle that no one wanted the items designed. The system here was, (until we found it was badly installed by professionals) vented direct using two heat elements. fed by cold water tank three foot above. Unknown to us it was leaking slightly for over 12 yrs but not seen cos of jacket. Then we were lucky cos the cyl had been fitted on blockboard which soaked up the slight leaks. Also the insul actred as sponge. So the expensive celing below escaped. We found that the pipes end fittings were wrapped in string and the fittings did not fit the tank outlets properly. The end fittings shoulds have fiber washers. We a;lso fouind that we could not remove the heat elements as tank too close to wall, one element had to be heated almost red to extract it using 3 foot scaffold pole. The owners (teachers) had paid huge sums of money for the work and the husband was an .Engineer' who displayed total confidence in everything he did. We then found bad work everywhere we looked in this property and the stress was so huge that I became seriouisly ill and could get almost no help from Health System. When we moved here to escape violent establ in Cent London we had only been here 15 mins when next door approached us and started listing all the wrtong doing going on in this area, so we escaped nothing. We have not had heating or hot water for twelve yrs as was too ill to work. whilst siting in garden having some food the Police came here, wiped the trays off our laps then told us if we picked up the food we would be arrested. They also told us that we must never warn the public if they are in danger and they must be prevented from reading. about our Cent London findings.IE Politics Law health HM Courts. HM Prisons. HM Bar Council. HM CPS.Media. Electoral Commission. Cab office.Public and others. We sent out 1000 mails and no questions were answrered and that incl the Universities. Am now recovering thanks to a 12 yrs study of Ayurveda which saved my life.So looks like we will fire up a blowlamp soon. We are freezing here because huge hole in side of dwellng caused by alcholic 'builder'. ATTEMPTS TO GET REASONABLE PRICED HELP TOTAL FAILED, Every person we had round here to estimate was a blatant charlatan.We cannot get any wellfare. We dont have any transport.When we approached Brussels EEC Court for help. we were told this- 'Nothing Can Be Done About Crrptn Or Squandered Billions Nor The Police attacks On You'. (EEC Ombudswoman Who 'goes to meetings in backless frocks'.When we apoproached 'AMNESTY' they replied by sending us details of 'Pub Quiz'. We protected victims for 12 yrs despite the violence. If you know people who are in desperate situations refer them to us. Social Services- 'Theres No One Needing Any Help' Please pray for us. The foregoing contains statements of truth, reality. fact sworn. No its not opnion. Face book and other media destroy evidence and accounts yet have no concience about showing violent films by the 1000. Do not read this text as if it is a seed catalogue. The activities witnessed were also practised by 3rd Reich which killed some my family. Gopd help Europe and UK.Theres another 999 pp of this.Got it? Or Not?

Reply to Unvented tank drip trays.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to this forum and also complete novice who knows pretty much nothing about plumbing. However I have done quite some google searching...
Replies
Views
Hi I must I think have a leak but can only hear it, it started a few weeks ago as a drip and now progressing with slow water flow gradually more...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock