Discuss upgrade of water supply pipe to house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

georgeturner

I wondered if anyone would like to share their experiences of upgrading the mains water pipe to their property. Mine still has the 1902 lead pipe (is it likely this is old 3/4 inch?) and I think an upgrade would improve the flow rate. Last year I did away with the tanks and went in for direct supply to all the taps - hence the issue.

If I do go for the upgrade what size pipe should I get installed? We have a newish water meter right on the boundary with the pavement, so I assume the new blue plastic pipe could be connected directly to it.

Thanks,
George

Hi George, i am about to do this myself as well. If you look on your water providers website and search for lead replacement, the info should be there, but a quick summary for you is this.
contact water board, tell them you want to change from lead supply. They will come and tell you where the new pipe has to be laid, depths insulation and conduit etc. once agreed, you or a plumber can do the work, they come back and inspect it, you then fill the trench in and they come back to connect up at your boundary. you are responsible for supplying upto stopcock from your boundary.
25mm blue mdpe is what they will require. They will also ask that you remove your branch of the lead supply. This will probably need to be cut and capped off quite close to the tee to prevent dead leg of stagnant water for other users if you are on a common supply.
hope this helps
anyone out there know about capping off branch, i would appreciate a bit of info
thanks
chris

Hi George, i am about to do this myself as well. If you look on your water providers website and search for lead replacement, the info should be there, but a quick summary for you is this.
contact water board, tell them you want to change from lead supply. They will come and tell you where the new pipe has to be laid, depths insulation and conduit etc. once agreed, you or a plumber can do the work, they come back and inspect it, you then fill the trench in and they come back to connect up at your boundary. you are responsible for supplying upto stopcock from your boundary.
25mm blue mdpe is what they will require. They will also ask that you remove your branch of the lead supply. This will probably need to be cut and capped off quite close to the tee to prevent dead leg of stagnant water for other users if you are on a common supply.
hope this helps
anyone out there know about capping off branch, i would appreciate a bit of info
thanks
chris

I would be inclined to go for 32 mm poly, especially if the pressure/flow rate is not all that good, even more so if you are now with an unvented or combi system

Chris, I do not understand this comment,
They will also ask that you remove your branch of the lead supply. This will probably need to be cut and capped off quite close to the tee to prevent dead leg of stagnant water for other users if you are on a common supply.
hope this helps
In 50 odd years of plumbing, I have never seen a lead water main or branch main, these have all been cast iron, asbestos cement, PVC, or poly
Any half decent plumber should know how to wipe a stop end on a bit of lead pipe, whether the authorities will allow it or not is another matter

George, I would ask the water company what they want, for starters, (it gets them on your side) but if the meter is right on the boundary, I would assume that it would all be down to you to lay the new main, at the correct depth together with the approved double check valve, from your internal stop valve, to the meter, the only doubt I have is who would do the final connection to the meter, I would also run the new service in a continuous sleeve, this would stop any leaks, caused by the pipe moving over a sharp object in the ground

Thanks Plouasne and chrisd28 for your help in this.

The 32mm poly sounds a good idea - perhaps even the next size up - the blue pipe itself is peanuts in comparison to the cost of labour etc.

What I have heard is that if the meter is right on the boundary the plumber/builder can "duck under" to get to this... is this right? If this is the case do the water supplier need to be involved at all or is this obligatory for water safety issues?

The lead pipe goes straight from the new water meter (I think they connected a short length of blue plastic from the meter to the lead) direct to the house down a sideway (house is a semi).

Interesting thing has happened since I posted, I got a letter (this morning) to say the gas pipe in the road is to be upgraded soon to plastic. Regrettably my gas supply pipe was redone in plastic about 20 years back or they would have upgraded that too. I could have got them to do the water pipe at the same time!

Thanks again,
George

Last edited by a moderator:
If your only issue is with water pressure and or flow rates have you considered fitting a Water Accumulator?
Could be cheaper than digging and laying new pipes

Thanks Plouasne and chrisd28 for your help in this.

The 32mm poly sounds a good idea - perhaps even the next size up - the blue pipe itself is peanuts in comparison to the cost of labour etc.

What I have heard is that if the meter is right on the boundary the plumber/builder can "duck under" to get to this... is this right? If this is the case do the water supplier need to be involved at all or is this obligatory for water safety issues?

The lead pipe goes straight from the new water meter (I think they connected a short length of blue plastic from the meter to the lead) direct to the house down a sideway (house is a semi).

Interesting thing has happened since I posted, I got a letter (this morning) to say the gas pipe in the road is to be upgraded soon to plastic. Regrettably my gas supply pipe was redone in plastic about 20 years back or they would have upgraded that too. I could have got them to do the water pipe at the same time!

Thanks again,
George

George,

If you have to open up the public footway, get the water company in to do the final connection, this is to cover your back, they have public liability cover and have the legals on their side to fight a case if anybody got injured on the public high way caused by the excavation to replace the water main

I would doubt that you would have the cover for this and if you carried out the work and god forbid somebody did get hurt, they would take you to the cleaners twice over and then wring you out to dry

If your only issue is with water pressure and or flow rates have you considered fitting a Water Accumulator?
Could be cheaper than digging and laying new pipes

Look at the date of when the water main was laid, it will be as brittle as hell now, and in any case if the property was sold at a later date and the lead main was still in use this would go against the seller (hack the price down because the lead main would have to be replaced)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. It may well be an idea to contact the distribution team at the local water company. if the supply pipe is lead it is likely that the communication pipe is also lead. If this is the case the board may well change it and connect to your new supply pipe as part of the service. Good Luck

Thanks again - I note the point about liability - I'll get the water co involved to do the connection.

BluePlumber The water accumulator ? Sorry to sound thick but I've never heard of them - other houses here have megaflows but I was hoping to avoid them as they are expensive and take up space. Would a water accumulator be big and exepensive?

Rgds., George

Thanks Plouasne !

On the face of it they sound absolutely ideal for my purposes. Also for the size I need they are an incredibly cheap solution.

I'm a bit concerned that you say "more trouble than they are worth" as there doesn't seems to be a lot to go wrong with them.

Have I understood this correctly: I assume these are just a water balloon style tank that fills with water from the mains (I imagine it has a non return valve?) and lets out more water at times of peak demand. Obviously it cannot increase the level on mains pressure as that would be creating energy from nowhere, but they can increase flow rate.

Thanks again,
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to upgrade of water supply pipe to house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock