Discuss Using hot water from a vented system for the first time in 2 years in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Thanks for the great replies. And no need to apologise!

I think I'm going to stick with OPTION1 and go for the least intervention and cheapest approach seeing as it's always possible we'll have to get a new heating system at some point in the future anyhow.

- Lid. I'll see if I can get a decent fitting lid, although not sure how likely that is. Do lids tend to be "unipart"? I'll put a couple of pics of the tank itself below.

- Insulation. I'll get a jacket too while I'm at it. A quick look shows standard types tend to be for a 50 gallon tank, whereas mine is 60. But I'm sure I can hunt something down if they exist.

- Cleaning. Would Milton cut the mustard or is chlorine a better option? I was thinking also that while the tank is empty I'll give it a scrub and clean, perhaps with a spray or two of anti-this-and-that spray.

- Overflow. Can't tell from your posts how necessary it would be to change this. Do you think it needs changing or can be left whilst not being ideal? If it does need changing, will that involve a whole new overflow, new hole in wall, etc?

- Vent pipe. Is the fix for that as simple as cutting a little off so it's not as low? Not that I'm proposing I do it! Just curious...

Thanks everyone and have a great week.

Attachments

• IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210822_110909668.jpg
    IMG_20210822_110909668.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 10
Have a look for a bye law 30 kit for your tank if you can get one incudes tank lagging and a tight lid.
Overflow probably as simple as cap old one off external to tank then cutting new hole in correct place with new tank connector.
Open vent just needs shortening simple as.

Thanks @exedon2 - very helpful.

Overflow probably as simple as cap old one off external to tank then cutting new hole in correct place with new tank connector.

Would the pipe need to be running down hill from the tank, or least level? If running up hill from the tank, would that defeat the purpose of lowering it? Not that I know anything! Just thinking aloud!

Reply to Using hot water from a vented system for the first time in 2 years in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock