Search the forum,

Discuss van deals help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

voivod

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Looking to get another van . We have started to get a lot of work and me and partner now need separate vans.
Cant decide whether to just buy another second hand ...or go for new.
Then there is hire /lease/contract ...aaargh
so may minefields.
What did you lot do?
have been thinking of a primastar /vivaro ..or even a nv400.
recommendations please

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat mate. I've out grown my van and desperately need to carry more stuff. I'm kind of leaning toward second hand but am not a car/van expert its a bit of a minefield.

When buying a second van your going to have to get something's fixed at some point depending on millage obviously like I bought my van drove round for 4 days and the slave cylinder went £460 but it
could of wend a week month year after I bought it that's the chance you take,

I would stay away from Vivaro unless they have fixed them?
My brothers employer bought one a few years ago had to have the gear box changed 3/4 times costing around 1500 each time. He still has it and at the moment it is going ok but he could have probably bought a brand new van for the cost repairs + buying the van

Apparently they have a gearbox out of a vauxhall vectra and the casings stretch/warp

Heard quite a few people with them similar issues

Other than that they are a nice comfy van

Don't get the nv400 blinking awful van to drive and made like a tin can. Go for a 2nd hand transit. Still the best value for money in my opinion.

Just had a look in a nv400 l2h2...looked immpressive beast.
whats wrong wiith them?? didnt drive it

Just had a look in a nv400 l2h2...looked immpressive beast.
whats wrong wiith them?? didnt drive it
Just a posers van. Totally useless for plumbing. Good if you want to carry a ton of gravel!
second hand transit every time.
on a side note, might be selling mine soon. 07 lwb 150hp ,racked out, 95,000 miles. £5000 + vat

can fit 3m lengths of copper in it ..what is wrong with it? Spoke to some guys (granted not plumbers) who said they were great vans?

We have 3 nv200 and they are awesome. Also buying 2 electric ones next tax year. Fabulous

U can fit 3m tube in u need to cut bulkhead under passenger seat and your away. Forget fuel bills I've done 9k on fumes

My traffic was a good van bought it with 8k on the clock and only problem ever was discs and a new alternator .
I always go new if I can 3 years of no bills !
Used to buy kangoo registered to a hire company for 6 months even though we drove them off the day of registration something about a demo van !
Guy from nissan told me the other day the new transit is a fantastic drive compared to the traffic , vivaro,primastar even though he sells them ! He said it is a no win contest .
Have had oer 50 new motors in my time and touch wood never a problem and I never ever take them back for a service !

I would stay away from Vivaro unless they have fixed them?
My brothers employer bought one a few years ago had to have the gear box changed 3/4 times costing around 1500 each time. He still has it and at the moment it is going ok but he could have probably bought a brand new van for the cost repairs + buying the van

Apparently they have a gearbox out of a vauxhall vectra and the casings stretch/warp

Heard quite a few people with them similar issues

Other than that they are a nice comfy van

The Vivario is a Renault traffic, which is a nissan primastar. All renaults and all french.

Voivod, you'll just have to go with what ye can afford, and what ye think ye need. Had a few trafics from new. Maybe I was lucky, never had trouble with them. I do mainly service maintenance commercial stuff. Could prob get by with smaller van 90% but ye can get caught out, stuck for something big ye need straight away.
If your doing lots of install, maybe ye need the master/nv400. Good van for the job. Priced well. All vans I mentioned have 3 seats. NV200 vans are grand too, would 2 seater b a problem. Once it's looks don't bother ye. Heard they great on diesel.

I always buy new, good tax incentive. There are plenty of deals out there. As to which van you want I've got some mates with the new Transit and they are good.

Got a new trafic on a contract hire agreement before Christmas 1.6 twin turbo.

Upside, No road tax to pay or mot, repairs or servicing. Downside is you never own the van which seems like quite an expensive way to operate. May try and buy the van at the end if it's any good. Veichles are an expense no matter what I suppose, this way it saves having cash tied up in an asset that's going to lose value.

Was going to lease purchase but they offered a better deal contract hire. Time will tell if it was the right decision.

Forgive my ignorance what's the difference between contract hire and lease???

Thanks Ads I shall have a nose. I just have no idea what the best option is.

Vw t5 stands out the most and looks the best. Practical and reliable but hold there money well and expensive new.

I've driven many different vans over my career the best was a transit more comfortable and more space than a transporter and cheaper. They shift as well when you want them to.

If you struggle with the size of a transporter though then you need to start looking at large vans or rack it out differently.

At the moment I'm working out of an expert (old style) that I didn't think about when I racked it out and it's far too small but if I was to alter the racking I think it would be an ideal size. I will still be going for a 2nd hand transit next hopefully there will be a few transit customs around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to van deals help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock