Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Vented Cylinder, is it safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gijno

I would to change hot water system in my flat and the only solution plumbers give me to get rid of cylinder+tank is vented cylinder (I want also have more space into the storage that's why I do not want another unvented system). I have only electricty at the flat.
My question is, assuming the vented cylinder is installed by a good company, is it safe?

I think you mean Unvented Cylinder.

Yes they are perfectly safe aslong as they are correctly installed and maintained. The Plumber must have the correct qualifications to install an unvented cylinder.

if you were to change from an unvented to vented cylinder you would find that you have less space in the storage not more

Didn't we cover this last time you asked?

As Ricky said, as long as it's installed and maintained correctly by a plumber holding a G3/unvented ticket you'll be groovy!

I think you mean Unvented Cylinder.

Yes they are perfectly safe aslong as they are correctly installed and maintained. The Plumber must have the correct qualifications to install an unvented cylinder.

Yes, you're right, I was wrong... I mean unvented...

if its only a flat could you not look down the route of a combination boiler and do away with the cylinder?

They're basically a thermal store!!

If you want to see an electric "combi" in the sense most people imagine, then look at an electric shower. That actually is consuming the energy as it heats the water.

These electric combi's are a big cylinder of water, heated with an immersion and run through a heat exchanger. Exactly like a Gledhill Pulsacoil.

That's what I reckon anyway.

We all know the amount of energy needed to raise water by 30 degrees at X amount of litres per minute. (Or we can google it).

And we all know that a 24KW gas combi boiler isn't very good as the flow rate will be very low in the winter to get the heat out of it.

You can't run a cable in a domestic property to draw 24KW let alone 28KW which would be half decent.

So it's either a heat exchanger or a blending valve and a coil. Nothing new I reckon!

Aaah gotcha electrically heated thermal store with external plate hex pump flow switch etc. sounds pricey to heat if it is like that.

You can get electric combi boilers, Ray! Pricey, but surprisingly good CH heat-up times and DHW flow rate...

Hi Masood

I've seen a few attempts at an electric combi, but as other posters have said, they aren't combi's in the same sense as a gas combi is.

Dannypipe has it nailed, you just can't draw enough power on a domestic single phase electric circuit to instantaneously heat enough hot water to be useful for anything more than a shower. The physics don't allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vented Cylinder, is it safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock