Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Venting air from Expansion Vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fitting an expansion vessel in a new system. The boiler is low level and the feed/return at low level for a couple of metres before going into the floor.

Expansion vessel will be on the return just before the boiler, but it will be fitted in cupboard above the level of the return pipe.

Every system diagram I see shows EV hanging beneath the return pipework. I guess this means the air just escapes immediately on filling. I can't do this (because the floor is in the way..)

Vessel will be fitted with valve/gauge on the top and Schraeder at the bottom. (Tee vertically up from the return then down into top of vessel).

How would I vent air from the wet side of the EV? Is it normal to use the safety valve for this or should I be fitting a manual air vent (or an auto air vent) also?

Don't vent it. It will aid expansion and IMO not affect the system

There is no air in the wet side of an expansion vessel.

Of course there is. How can you omit all the air.

There will be some. But don't worry about venting it. As I've already said

Have you ever wondered how the pre charge stays in?

Do you know how an expansion vessel works?

I genuinely cut one up with an angle grinder when I was younger..... so I could get inside and take a look for myself. Depsite being told how they work.

These days you have Google. Check it out. They're dead simple.

Do you know how an expansion vessel works?

Yes seen loads of them.

The precharge sits in the "rubber vessel", or the air side of a diaphragm in the larger ones, and the pressure expels ALL the air from the wet side.
As the pressure in the wet side of the system rises either by initial fill or temperature rise the precharged air side gives way to allow the water under pressure into the vessel, the actual volume is dependant on the pressure diference between air and water side.

I'll repeat, there is no air in the wet side that needs venting.

Whilst the above is true, the installer still needs to ensure that he has put auto air bleed points at appropriate places on the circuit in order to fill it correctly and vent the air when charging.

If a small amount of air (the bit in the pipe feeding the vessel) remains in the system and is pushed into the vessel when the system is charged, this does not matter.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the replies, no conclusion I can see so far.

Snowhead: If the vessel is fed from a downwards running tee off the pipe, then all the air will rise out of the vessel and get carried away to vent elsewhere during charge. If it's fed from an upwards running tee, where can the air go? I'll get compressed yes, and some will be squeezed out by some water entering, but surely much of it will stay in the wet side because it just rises to the top? - Hence my question.

Here's what I thought would happen. Please tell me how the air gets out if not via the safety valve (or do i need to fit another valve ? - (hence my question):

air.jpg

. If it's fed from an upwards running tee, where can the air go? I'll get compressed yes, and some will be squeezed out by some water entering, but surely much of it will stay in the wet side because it just rises to the top? - Hence my question.

Here's what I thought would happen. Please tell me how the air gets out if not via the safety valve (or do i need to fit another valve ? - (hence my question):

There's no air to be squeezed out, the diaphragm within the vessel is pushed hard against the inlet before water enters, all the water does is push the diaphagm back into the precharged air section.
As the water cools and reduces in volume the precharge overcomes the water pressure and pushes some of it back out.

Don't worry about which way to mount it, it can go any way up, down, or sideways.

There's no air to be squeezed out, the diaphragm within the vessel is pushed hard against the inlet before water enters, all the water does is push the diaphagm back into the precharged air section.
But there is air in the pipework in the diagram above which will be compressed when the system fills and forced into the 'wet' side.

Hi Snowhead.

"There's no air to be squeezed out, the diaphragm within the vessel is pushed hard against the inlet before water enters, all the water does is push the diaphagm back into the precharged air section"

Ah yes of course. (He emerges enlightened :smile5: )

Thank you for that. Perhaps too much thinking an not enough plumbing!

I can see there is only a small amount of residual air (that in the top loop of the pipework only)

Rgds.

Last edited:
Hi Snowhead.

"There's no air to be squeezed out, the diaphragm within the vessel is pushed hard against the inlet before water enters, all the water does is push the diaphagm back into the precharged air section"

Ah yes of course. (He emerges enlightened :smile5: )

Thank you for that. Perhaps too much thinking an not enough plumbing!

I can see there is only a small amount of residual air (that in the top loop of the pipework only)

Rgds.

Like this

View attachment 7063

Reflex had a diagram of their vessels, when fitted this way, ( with vessel above pipes) showing an auto vent teed off the pipe. This is a very common & often only method of installing an e.v. on oil boilers, especially if no space either side of boiler & when converting existing open vent to sealed. I distrust auto vents as they leak badly if on a hot pipe but think it better to fit one on the e.v. pipe, which is cold anyhow.
It may be unnecessary but will do no harm. Air trapped inside e.v.near centre where diaphragm joins Is more an issue, & this, I discovered is caused on initial filling of a new e.v. on a new system If you over pressure system slightly above it's normal working pressure. (tempting to do this when filling & venting system when on your own as speeds filling time) Vessel rots through eventually but replacement won't. Learnt that the hard way!

Last edited:
That's all good then. Perhaps in worst case just a manual vent to get rid of the little bit from the pipe as Best says? I probably won't bother though, and will go with it, the upwards pipe loop is very small.

I read somewhere in this forum that it's better not to operate the safety vent to rid the air on fill because dirt can get trapped and make it weep?

That's all good then. Perhaps in worst case just a manual vent to get rid of the little bit from the pipe as Best says? I probably won't bother though, and will go with it, the upwards pipe loop is very small.
No point in a manual vent there IMO. If it is somewhere visible or in a garage or boiler house, & as it is on a cold pipe I would use an auto vent.

I read somewhere in this forum that it's better not to operate the safety vent to rid the air on fill because dirt can get trapped and make it weep?

More a likelihood of them passing water if you operate them if they are old or are positioned where they have had a lot of heat for years. The heavy washer deteriorates & also can get coated in dirt.
If a bit of dirt gets into a relief valve usually it will seal if operated a few more times. These valves are supposed to be opened to test them once a year anyhow.

With your arrangement if you want to get rid of the air, simply charge up and release - the water will displace the air on the release.

The safety vents should be tested periodically to ensure they work. If they start to weep, then of course it's more maintenance work you get to replace them so what you complaining about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Venting air from Expansion Vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock