Discuss Very slow movement on water meter but no leak found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris80

Hello

I am hoping for some advice please. I have recently noticed that my stop tap under the kitchen sink is really tight, so to check we can isolate the supply in an emergency I turned off the stop tap in the road - all OK. However, when turning it back on I noticed the 0.0001 dial is turning very slowly (so much so I reckon many wouldnt have noticed it). I have therefore managed to turn the stop tap under sink off (using a spanner and a lot of force) to fully isolate the internal water supply, there was then no movement on the meter so it seemed small internal leak. I have since done all of the following and the meter i still turning ever so slightly:-

• Replaced kitchen tap valves (as the tap was dripping)
  • Changed old toilet filler and flush (as the filler would drip for ages after the main fill)
  • Put food colouring in other toilet to check for leak - no leak into pan
  • Isolated cold water supply to Megaflo hot tank (unvented so no cold header in loft) to rule out the hot water system
  • Turn off isolator valves to dishwasher, washing machine, other taps etc.

The blasted meter is still moving ever so slightly, so overnight I have checked the meter at 11pm and then 7pm with zero water use and it is registering about 600ml used - so not a lot. Is this minimal movement normal or do I have a leak? There are no stains or sounds etc, I am at a loss so any advice or opinions are gratefully received.

Thanks

The only way you are going to find a leak that small - if there are no visible signs - is to disconnect the house side of the stopcock under the sink and pressure test the house plumbing and then pressure test from the stopcock back to the meter.

Your losing less than 2 litres of water a day, if the leak was inside your property you would have some visible signs of where the leak is.

Heard of one this week where the leak was traced to a plastic pipe in a stud wall.

I

w
o
u
l

I would guess leak in partition or under floorboards down stairs oz is right a pressure test would confirm this I have heard of engineers hooking on CO2 and listening out for the whistle to locate leak position..brum

Thanks guys. To confirm the ground floor is concrete so I am assuming there is no plumbing under there apart from the main water supply? The house is timber frame so I was thinking any leaks would be more evident?

I have had the stop tap off for 3 hours today whilst we were out. Came back and turned back on and ran around listening for water filling. The only area I could hear it was in or around the megaflo. When turning the cold supply megaflo tap off it stopped. This brings me back this but when turning tap off in the last few days the meter keeps turning slowly?

Thanks so far. At the moment I am thinking pressure test (thanks for the advice) but still troubled why the megaflo seems to refill after cutting water supply but the tundish and overflow to outside is dry at all times.

Thanks guys. To confirm the ground floor is concrete so I am assuming there is no plumbing under there apart from the main water supply? The house is timber frame so I was thinking any leaks would be more evident?

I have had the stop tap off for 3 hours today whilst we were out. Came back and turned back on and ran around listening for water filling. The only area I could hear it was in or around the megaflo. When turning the cold supply megaflo tap off it stopped. This brings me back this but when turning tap off in the last few days the meter keeps turning slowly?

Thanks so far. At the moment I am thinking pressure test (thanks for the advice) but still troubled why the megaflo seems to refill after cutting water supply but the tundish and overflow to outside is dry at all times.

Could be be the hot that's leaking and that's why megaflo is filling

Thanks pipe man. I previously thought I had ruled out hot water leak as when isolating the cold feed to the megaflo the meter stills turns slowly.

just check if you have any storage tanks in the roof, isolate them first and then see if the movement stops, they are the normal cause of your issue, otherwise check your wcs arent leaking out into the pan via a duff syohon.

Thanks for that lame plumber. But I don't have a loft tank and I have checked all the toilets. I'll have to get a plumber in to find this phantom leak. The others have recommend a pressure test so I'll ask for that. Always like to diagnose things myself but struggling on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Very slow movement on water meter but no leak found in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock