Discuss Wash Basin Plug (options) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I've got my bits in me basket . . . what is that screw for on the right in the pic

Attachments

• McAlp slotted.png
    McAlp slotted.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 11
I have no idea. Since it mentions 'chain' maybe it's a blanking screw (can't see a slot in it) for the hole where the chain fixing went 🤔
PS are you sure the overall length of this one is the same as the overall length of your old one to the thread of the P-trap, ie is the old one 3 1/2" (90mm)

Last edited:
Thanks again . . . I am sure it is not as long as the current trap so I have as McAlpine A10A in my Screwfix basket
Having bought the McAlpine CW60-CB and about to do the job I am asking myself - why did I choose 'slotted' - why did I not choose unslotted - how do I know which is right for my basin?

Having bought the McAlpine CW60-CB and about to do the job I am asking myself - why did I choose 'slotted' - why did I not choose unslotted - how do I know which is right for my basin?
Your basin includes an overflow, according to your pic, and the water from that flows down in the ceramic and comes out in the waste aperture below. If you fit an unslotted waste the overflow water will be blocked, and the basin will overflow!
I believe you have the correct waste!

Your basin includes an overflow, according to your pic, and the water from that flows down in the ceramic and comes out in the waste aperture below. If you fit an unslotted waste the overflow water will be blocked, and the basin will overflow!
I believe you have the correct waste!
Thanks again . . . I put a finger down the the current waste hole and I felt slots in the side so I suspect 'slotted' is the correct choice. . . (golf today subject to rain - start the job tomorrow)

Job done and so far no leeks. The drop on the outlet out of the basin was just over 5cm which meant I couldn't get the new A10A waste in but was able to get the old one in. Thanks Basher for the helpful guidance

Attachments

• after.JPG
    after.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Wash Basin Plug (options) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock