Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Water damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

williz

Hi guys. In January a customer requested I move a lounge radiator which was completed to satisfaction. I was called back yesterday as the customer had discovered a leak on one of the joints I'd fitted. He reported the leak had caused the lounge floor (laminate) to warp. I went out today and noted there was some evidence of a leak so carried out a repair. The joint was in plastic so not a demanding job. Nonetheless the customer is stating that the leak has damaged his floor and he wants me to rectify. At the time of the initial job they were in the throws of redecorating and at request left the pipework exposed for them to consider options like 'boxing in' when they came round to it. During my revisit I noted they had covered the pipework with plastic self adhesive trunking. To secure this the backing had been placed behind the pipework suggesting obvious interferance. I have Liability insurance but question whether I am liable. Sensibly how do you think I should proceed without incriminating. I have seen no real evidence of damage but want to approach the head of the household and discuss options. Before I do I thought I'd seek your council.

Tricky.

I can't profess to being an expert on this, as I've not yet (touch wood) had a claim on my insurance.

I would imagine you'll need to speak to the insurance company and discuss it. They won't want to pay out if they don't have too.

If someone else has been moveing the pipes after you left its not your fault any one could have caused the leak, Note never addmit to anything

Tough one mate. From experience ( working for a company who had a few claims through the years some were questionable) I would probably say your going to struggle to prove it wasn't you. The customer has far more protection than you, and not only that, dragging it through the claims procedure will cost you money, time and possibly a bad name. Also given the fact you have fixed an apparent leak won't look to good.

Do they seem like chancer's? Can you find out what laminate flooring it is and offer to repair the damaged area if its available? Use a local chippy so it looks like your doing it right rather than try and repair it yourself. I would go with the willing to help but not going to get stitched up type approach. If they are genuine they will appreciate you looking to resolve, if they are chancer's they will insist on insurance so that they can claim a whole new floor. Also the insurance claim will be inflated and you'll pay for it in the long run, better to avoid insurance if possible.

Take photo's every step of the way, and get any agreement signed for so that you have something to fall back on. Always cover your backside.

EDIT: Insurance companies will pay out no questions asked, its an excuse to hike your premium up and pay for it twice over.

Last edited:
this sort of thing has happened to me once. i spoke to my local trading standards who were very helpful
they were very supportive of legitemate businesses and fully realised that some customers are just trying it on.

they told me how to approach the situation and once they were involved suddenly the customer became a whole lot more
reasonable.

still lost a grand but it didnt end up in court thankfully or with an insurance claim

you say there is no visable damage? if so tell them to get lost.

if you pipework was clipped correctly and they have removed the clips and fitted boxing then its should void your warranty and i would request payment for the fixed leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock