Search the forum,

Discuss Water Hammer & Bathroom fittings squealing when toilet is flushed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I've been experiencing water hammer within the house for a couple of months now, which rattles the pipes whenever turning off a tap or an appliance cuts off its supply. I have turned the stop tap off while turning on all taps allowing the system to aerate which fixes the issue for a day or so before it returns.
I have also noted that when the hammer occurs an additional issue rears its head: The toilet system will have a constant overflow of water (a bare trickle) and when I flush the toilet the sink & shower head will begin to squeek and sometimes water is pushed out through the shower head. The process of how to reproduce the issue is as follows:

Toilet flush > Turn on bathroom sink which will then squeek > this will then have a large squeek from the shower head and water will be pushed out of the shower head. See attached video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWLLbE6lqw

Cheers in advance

Update: forgot to mention, previously suggested that it could be the inlet valve. I reduced the input as well as attempted to clean out any grit within the cistern but this doesnt seem to have solved the problem.
Unsure if this has any relevance, I added a dishwasher to the kitchen when we moved in and attached this to the only available water pipe which was hot. Could this effect the system as a whole?
With regards to the water hammer, the shock can be heard travelling upstairs to the boiler. Is this all a pressure thing?

ta

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s your inlet valve, especially with it overflowing. Renew washer internally or renew inlet valve. The water coming from shower head might be a failed on/off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Water Hammer & Bathroom fittings squealing when toilet is flushed in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock