Search the forum,

Discuss Water Pouring Through My Ceiling! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

austenhalsey

I've got an intermittent water leak, and I can't work out what's causing it. About 1/2 litre comes through my kitchen ceiling (I've made a hole for it to save the whole ceiling coming down!), and then after a few minutes it stops. This only seems to happen at around 7 or 8pm, on Fridays or Saturdays. I don't think it's the toilet or shower as they are used at all times of the day. I don't think the washing machine is the cause, either, as it's downstairs, and also used at various times of the day. I have live in Nottingham and have district heating (the houses round here get hot water piped directly from a factory), but I don't know if that's the cause - the heating pipes don't seem to go near where the leak is.

Has anyone got any ideas, please?

sounds like you need to get someone round for a looksie. maybe bring some dye with them

i appreciate the leak is only apparent at a strange time but 99% of the time if you gotta leak with a bathroom above you its coming from an appliance. could just be accumulating slowly. have you - taken off panels/boxing and checked around taps, tap connectors, traps and waste connections? use some tissue paper in case the leak is very slow.

is your heating system sealed?

is there anything that happends near this time of day/week thats different? ie some have a bath instead of shower on weekends?

I take it the bathroom is directly above, if so what in the bathroom is above the leak,... toilet?

with the type of heating you described, I am thinking is this a rented council property?
if so maybe they would investigate the problem for you.

A loose Speedfit connection maybe. I had exactly the same on a job before xmas & thats what it turned out to be. The fluctuations in water pressure caused a leak at certain times of the day as the pressure pushed the pipe partially out of the fitting. When the pressure dropped a little the tension in the copper pipework allowed the pipe to re-enter the fitting fully & re-seal. Had a devil of a job finding the problem.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Pouring Through My Ceiling! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it. There's an in-ceiling speaker where water was dripping from, and there were slower drips coming from a...
Replies
Views
Hello, i'm doing some heatloss calculations, going by a fairly old plumbing book. The formula for calculating heatloss would be Surface Area x Temp Diff x U-Value = Heatloss My question is, when calculating the heatloss through a ceiling, so downstairs to upstairs, the temp difference would be...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock