Search the forum,

Discuss wd40 and taps (and worried customer) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hiya,
I used WD40 on the packing gland of a stop tap the other day (to help free it up - which it did). My customer was concerned the WD40 could work its way through the tap and into her drinking water.
I tried to explain that WD40 is routinely used to unstick taps, and is fine on tap exteriors, and unlikely to work its way through to the water supply. She was still worried though.
How would you explain it to her better?
Thanks,
Jennie

use silicone spray/grease to save the hassle, wd will leave traces of oil she can see, to worry her and unless you use a grease anyhow, its gonna sieze again in short shrift

If the WD40 was able to get into the water then the water would be able to get into the WD40 and therefore still be leaking.
Since the water is under pressure and not the other way around she has nothing to worry about.
Even a small amount if it did mix somehow, would be so diluted that it would be undetectable anyway

Some people really do worry about nothing!

If by some miracle it did find its way into the water supply, can you imagine how diluted it would be?

Technically you shouldn't be using WD40 on a water fitting as it's not WRAS approved.

WD 40 harldy ever works on anything anyway. Most of the time, it makes very little difference.

I usually get told to put it on!! Give her an estimate for new taps, make money from your advice, otherwise she will ring you in 2 weeks telling you she is ill from the wd40.

wd 40 dont work on hot and seized fans either, just scares the custard with all the smelly smoke :) (and flames!)

Jennie used the wd40 on an old stopcock to help free it so she could turn it. Nothing contravening any wras regulations.
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/valves-taps/62376-really-old-stop-tap.html#post579275

It is useless as a long term lubricant but does help free things off.
Tell your customer there is no reason to worry. It is about as harmless as baby oil and it is impossible for it to get through the body of the tap.
The customer should be a bit more worried about the lead levels in her water supply from the old lead pipes.

I believe WD40 is made with materials from fish and they live in water....so what's the problem !

I thought it was mainly fish oil too but apparently that's not true.

Oh and according to a customer of mine who runs a pub which is supplied by a lead main. When he enquired to the water board about having it changed they told him: the inside of the lead will be coated with a protective layer of line scale now so there is nothing to worry about. I personally don't think there is a massive problem with a lead main but would prefer to not have one serving my own home. After all there is lead in most brassware fittings (like your kitchen taps for instance). I do agree with Tamz. It's more worrying than a bit of wd 40.

Last edited:
yep the masses of lead piping and lead it taps an solder is more of a worry. The regs are slowly catching up but taps can still be high in lead content so that would be more of a worry. I agree that WD40 is good for short term but i would always use silicon grease as it is much more suited to the job

I mentioned it to my tutor today. He highly recommends using butter. (I thought he was joking at first, but he seemed quite serious about it).

I mentioned it to my tutor today. He highly recommends using butter. (I thought he was joking at first, but he seemed quite serious about it).

He's got to be joking!
Can't see anything wrong with using silicone grease or Vaseline. Necks in sink mixers etc come brand new with silicone grease in them.

Well i've heard of butter being used as a lubricant but never on taps!
Tallow would be a better natural lubricant as it doesn't wash away with water much the same as silicone grease. Its a while since i've seen or used a bit tallow (it was used as a flux for wiped joints on lead) but you can still buy it.

I would say butter should never be used as it is likely to become a breeding ground for bacteria. Has your tutor heard of the water regulations?

PS - Toolstation sell Tallow. At least you can eat some if you forgot your lunch!

Its a while since i've seen or used a bit tallow ... but you can still buy it.

Yes you can.

We sold 1 (ONE - count 'em) tub in 2013.

Thats the same as the 1 tub that we sold in 2012

Down from the bonus-busting 9 tubs in 2011.

:)

Unless it's Mark and Lard in which case you know a great music sesh is about to kick off....

I used to like Mark and Lard. One of em, (Lard I think) is on radio 2 at the weekends...of course using his real name. Used to be predictable but funny.

Radio 1 terrible !
radio 2 way more listeners !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to wd40 and taps (and worried customer) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock