Discuss What are my responsibilities? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I don't think it's worth answering such emails punch for punch. Whatever you have charged on the invoice for the bath is the cost of that material. Show yourself reasonable, do it right as best as you possibly can, consult a solicitor if need be as to what reasonable would be, and if they actually bother to take you to court, so be it. They can only win a court case if you have not done your legal duties (your responsibilities, as you correctly put it), not just win because they are still dissatisfied.

As for expecting cash, that is reasonable if that is how they originally paid you, but you need a receipt then. Quite what you would do with their bank details (name, sort code, and account number) apart from pay money in is beyond me. (Try going to Tesco and paying by card and then expecting a refund in cash and see how far that gets you). You don't need to justify all this. You can merely say that you will offer the refund by the same method it was paid to you as that is your policy. If that isn't good enough for them but it's an offer that is within the rules of the law (which I expect it is), then how are you being unreasonable?

You can't please some people all of the time.
Thats good advice, thankyou.
Ive offered 25% over the price of the bath, and l charge £220 a day labour only, so offered either my time free of chatge to put their new bath in, or another £250 to chose anither Plumber to fit it, l said this would only be paid via bank transfer as that is how they paid, plus it is proof they have had it.
My thoughts are they will go down the small claims route, but surely, if l can prove l offered a resolution they would not approve a much higher claim in monetary value??

As covered above, sometimes you just can't win. You definitely don't need to justify the prices charged for materials, especially if they could of sourced them direct.
From what you have described above I would agree with Ric that constant emails are not the way forward. Keep a record of all communication and possibly send them a final note that you are waiting on the manufacturers to respond appropriately or your best offer would be 'X'. If it ever goes to court, the fact you are trying to find a solution goes a long way. If they chose not to accept it then that's their predicament.
Try to remember it is a business transaction and treat it as such, don't get personal or let it personally effect your normal day to day. If you've done the right thing they won't have anymore weight in court.

I think people often use taking people to court as a threat and too many people encourage the practice by settling out of court. If they innundate their solicitors and the court with irrelevant digressions (as it sounds they are doing with you via email), I doubt they will get very far. Not speaking from experience, mind.

Thats good advice, thankyou.
Ive offered 25% over the price of the bath, and l charge £220 a day labour only, so offered either my time free of chatge to put their new bath in, or another £250 to chose anither Plumber to fit it, l said this would only be paid via bank transfer as that is how they paid, plus it is proof they have had it.
My thoughts are they will go down the small claims route, but surely, if l can prove l offered a resolution they would not approve a much higher claim in monetary value??
Are you offering to source and install the replacement bath for free and refund (cost of the bath plus 25%) or you are refunding (the cost of the bath plus 25%) for them to source their own replacement bath which you will fit for free?

I can't imagine Pimlico making an offer more generous than that, so sounds reasonable either way!

As covered above, sometimes you just can't win. You definitely don't need to justify the prices charged for materials, especially if they could of sourced them direct.
From what you have described above I would agree with Ric that constant emails are not the way forward. Keep a record of all communication and possibly send them a final note that you are waiting on the manufacturers to respond appropriately or your best offer would be 'X'. If it ever goes to court, the fact you are trying to find a solution goes a long way. If they chose not to accept it then that's their predicament.
Try to remember it is a business transaction and treat it as such, don't get personal or let it personally effect your normal day to day. If you've done the right thing they won't have anymore weight in court.
Thats exactly what l did in my last email, repeated my final offer at a resolution and would continue my fight with the supplier myself for my own benefit, and my offer to them was irrespective of the supplier refunding/replacing or not.

I feel lve been more than fair, and it just feels like this customer is out to get whatever they can because they found a tiny flaw in their bath....

Are you offering to source and install the replacement bath for free and refund (cost of the bath plus 25%) or you are refunding (the cost of the bath plus 25%) for them to source their own replacement bath which you will fit for free?

I can't imagine Pimlico making an offer more generous than that, so sounds reasonable either way!
I have refused to source them another bath myself, because they have said they have reported me for breach of GDPR because l gave the suppliers their contact details as they needed them to deliver the bathroom....🙈
I said if l gave them back the price of the bath, plus an extra 25% they could source a bath of their choice and l wouldnt have to give anyone their contact details...
They really are pulling out all the stops..
And yes, on top, l would fit it for free, or give them another £250 to pay someone of their choice to fit it..

Dear Mr Judge,

My plumber fitted my bathroom. There was a flaw in the bath. The plumber offered to give me a replacement bath and fit it for free and offer me a discount due to the time wasted. At no time did I state that time was 'of the essence' (e.g. that the works had to be complete before my disabled uncle came to live with us). But I feel I deserve more.

Plus the plumber gave my address to a supplier that needed that information in order to deliver the goods I had agreed to order and I feel this breaches the GDPR rules of which I haven't read the 88 pages of PDF but I read something about it in the "Daily Mail" and quoting it makes me sound important. [To be fair, possibly there should be a document customers have to sign to ensure you can do that, but I'm sure 99% of plumbers won't have this document].

Today I am wearing my birthday badge:
1653515353222.png

Dear Mr Judge,

My plumber fitted my bathroom. There was a flaw in the bath. The plumber offered to give me a replacement bath and fit it for free and offer me a discount due to the time wasted. At no time did I state that time was 'of the essence' (e.g. that the works had to be complete before my disabled uncle came to live with us). But I feel I deserve more.

Plus the plumber gave my address to a supplier that needed that information in order to deliver the goods I had agreed to order and I feel this breaches the GDPR rules of which I haven't read the 88 pages of PDF but I read something about it in the "Daily Mail" and quoting it makes me sound important. [To be fair, possibly there should be a document customers have to sign to ensure you can do that, but I'm sure 99% of plumbers won't have this document].

Today I am wearing my birthday badge:View attachment 75661
I like that. 😂
And actually, theres a clause regarding gdpr and whether you are in breach, if its justifiable and with good cause ( as in so a delivery company can deliver goods to a customer ) there is no breach...
Dear Mr Judge,

Today I am wearing my birthday badge:View attachment 75661

And l can request that through trading standards?
And in the meantime, do l have to reply to every email they send? Its nearly daily....

Yes or ask there advise and make sure you log when you phoned etc

IME, Small Claims Court judges don't look kindly on claimants who've declined a reasonable settlement offer and are trying to use the procedure to bully the other party.

Reply to What are my responsibilities? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I've been trying to get hold of one of these for the last week or so for a customer. Almost every supplier that sells them don't have any at the...
Replies
Views
This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several...
Replies
Views
Hoping for some advice as I seem to be hitting a brick wall. Moved into a house last year, radiators down strairs (4 of them) never really got...
Replies
Views
C
Hello there. I wonder whether anyone could suggest what may be the issue with the hot water in my bathroom. I have asked four different plumbers...
Replies
Views
CharlieMcT
C
My sister bought a new build property which has wall hung toilets, NK by Noke Porcelona The pans are all moving enough for the silicone sealant to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock