Search the forum,

Discuss What happens to water and dangers of it in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I have a question and hope for some advice or information on the following many thanks;

• How long should tap water be left out at room temperature before drinking (how long is too long)
  • How many times should you change the water in the kettle before boiling it, should you pour out and add fresh water every time you use it?
  • What happens to water which has been left out for more than 24 hours, does bacteria form ( if so which kind) and are there any dangerous health hazards if you drink the water.
Thanks once again

Point 1: Drinkable it until it evaporates. - unless contaminated by other souses.
Point 2: Home kettle, continual use and filling as required. Boiled water purified.
Motel Kettle - never use, bring your own.
Point 3: Just because water comes out of you tap when you open it does not mean its fresh.
It may have been in the water mains for days or weeks and probably in the resevoir for months - even years.
There would be more dangerous health hazards to your body for not drinking water than drinking it.
Even water that contains many chemical and bacteria that is in the water we all drink.
Bottled / processed water probably has more chemicals in it than average tap water

Point 1: Drinkable it until it evaporates. - unless contaminated by other souses.
When the water gets cut off here, I follow the same practice as I've seen in hospitals. Keep water in a jug with a lid. Top up as necessary during the day but empty completely and refill with fresh water at least once a day.

Water in an open jug starts tastes 'stale' to me after a day, probably because it has become de-aerated.

Reply to What happens to water and dangers of it in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The front right corner shim is 5/8", the left front corner is 3/8" shimmed, with shorter shims under left middle and right rear corner. The pan perimeters...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock