Search the forum,

Discuss What is this fitting please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Frost

File%2007-05-2017%2C%2022%2038%2058.jpeg

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help, I have this fitting on what I think us the overflow pipe from my hot water tank. I have noticed a damp patch on the ceiling below it and it seems that when there is water passing along the pipe it overtops the 'cup' and overflows. If the image is not visible it is a black fitting, positioned vertically with an open 'cup' on the bottom half.
I assume that the pipe only runs water when the HW gets to a certain temp (although this us pure guesswork tbh) I have recently had a PV system installed and hence the immersion heater is used these days, whereas it was never switched on before.
I cannot see the point in this fitting and I was thinking about just taking it out and piping straight through the gap. There is an overflow to outside.
Could someone explain it please
Many thanks
Richard

Edit - sorry, I cannot seem to get the image to upload, but the link is here Dropbox - File 07-05-2017, 22 38 58.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tundish and if it's running there's a problem

Best get it look / serviced by an unvented reg tech (G3)

Do not touch it! It must be a tundish by your description and is there for a purpose. Get a G3 qualified plumber (qualified in unvented hot water systems) to look at it.
Shaun beat me to it.

This is a tundish through which water passes when the safety pressure valves operate on hot water cylinder or sealed heating system. You have a problem!

Richard I think you realise by now you have a problem , do not remove the tundish , if it helps you could ask on here for a G3 engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is this fitting please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock