Discuss Where has common sense gone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mitchellcook

I had to shut down a kingfisher mk 2 o/f boiler on Wednesday because the flue was cracked in two pieces just above the flue spigot (5'' asbestos). You could literally pull the flue to the side and see the heat exchanger. Cant believe they were still standing as there were major signs of incomplete combustion.

The retired gent seemed fine at the time and agreed that I could shut it down and understood how dangerous it was.

Just got an angry phone call from said gentleman. He said he got one of these big fast response firms out who 'temporarily patched' the flue together and left the boiler on for them. He said his wife and son are fuming at me thinking im just trying to sell a new boiler. He then went on to say 'fair enough you saved us from co poisoning but we could die from hypothermia'. Couldn't believe what I was hearing especially as he's a retired doctor and should know the dangers of co.

The cherry on the cake for me is that his wife is writing a stern letter to gas safe to 'report me'. In the words of Gary Neville himself, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Wonder if this fast response company are gs registered, cause I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to leave that boiler on and risk lives and their career.

Get the gas supplier to go round tell them you I'd it and someone else has put it back on. If its ok then you have not lost any sleep, but could be great just to hear its cut off!

report them to gas safe and look out for absolutely no response as the customer wont complain as their boiler is back working again with a patched up flue!!!!!!!!!! Or as above ID through the door and tell transco to cut it off

Anyone who patch repairs an open flue is a complete idiot. I'd wish them good luck and move on.

Yeah could do. I'm not worried about gs because I know that I was completely in the right.

Didn't think that you could/or was allowed to patch up an asbestos flue that was in two pieces

Split collar and band it but not really recommended and i can guarantee you he never had one in the van.
More likely slapped a bit foil tape around it.

I didn't actually take the phone call, my dad did. I wish I did take the call then i could have asked a few questions about the repair and company used. Also i dont want to rock the boat too much just yet because they still owe me half a grand for changing their cylinder on said day.

Advise they call gas safe to report it because as you told them it is ID. When they don't do it they won't be able to mess you around for your dosh.

I agree with Tamz.
Repair it with a split collar and job is done, n need for unnecessary dramatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where has common sense gone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
I was on this forum a long time ago and I would like to explain my experience of plumbing. This may be a long post but I will be happy if it helps...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys its been a while since I have posted but have a bit of an problem I need some advice with. went to do a cp12 on Friday (for a agency)...
Replies
Views
Try again in the Arms lol!! I seem to stumble across these idiots every couple of years without fail. I wish my nutter detector was a bit better...
Replies
Views
newcastle phill
N
M
Hello I was called earlier today by my wife who was in a bit of a panic after a visit from a British Gas heating Engineer, I have to admit his...
Replies
Views
drip-dry
D

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock