Discuss Which tap is leaking in our kitchen mixer tap? in the Australia Plumbers Talk area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a mixer tap on our kitchen sink and it's started to drip.
I c an see how it comes apart but how will I know which one is leaking once I open them up or should I just change both washers to be on the safe side?

Thank you.
IMG_6757.jpg

Hello Cheddarman. If you push one of the handles in towards the tap body and the drip stops or lessens, then that is the faulty side. That often works.
I find most of the mixers I fix are the cold works faulty, but could also be the hot of course.

As above turn one side off at a time a new tap insert will be needed as they are quater turn operation and the inserts are handed for hot and cold it looks like a tap from Howdens I fitted one recently ? Kop

As above turn one side off at a time a new tap insert will be needed as they are quater turn operation and the inserts are handed for hot and cold it looks like a tap from Howdens I fitted one recently ? Kop
Many thanks for that.
Yes it is a Howdens kitchen. Bought the new build bungalow about three years ago and already the worktop is "swelling" where the joints weren't sealed properly!
So I have to replace the complete insert, not just a washer?

Many thanks for that.
Yes it is a Howdens kitchen. Bought the new build bungalow about three years ago and already the worktop is "swelling" where the joints weren't sealed properly!
So I have to replace the complete insert, not just a washer?
Its a ceramic cartridge like this.

Attachments

• tap insert.jpg
    tap insert.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 11
Unfortunately the installation plumbers haven't fitted isolation valves in the supply to the mixer (as they have on all others) so have a bit of a quandary as to how to isolate them! They come off the main system which is pressurised and comprises an Air Source heat pump so I am reluctant to turn off the main supply and drain the system!!

Unfortunately the installation plumbers haven't fitted isolation valves in the supply to the mixer (as they have on all others) so have a bit of a quandary as to how to isolate them! They come off the main system which is pressurised and comprises an Air Source heat pump so I am reluctant to turn off the main supply and drain the system!!
You could turn off the supply to the cylinder that would then prove if its the hot. You can turn the cold off at the main stop tap. Good luck

Reply to Which tap is leaking in our kitchen mixer tap? in the Australia Plumbers Talk area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock