Search the forum,

Discuss Why would cold mains feeding the boiler need an expansion vessel? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

British gas fixed a leak in the boiler and said the due to the recently installed water meter the fluxuation in pressure caused the leak. They advised to get a expansion vessel on the the cold mains entering the boiler.
I read on here someone say that Worcester wouldn't warranty boilers being fed by water meters if they didn't have expansion/accumalator valves on as it's a sealed system.
Why would the cold mains feeding the boiler need an expansion vessel?

They prevent water hammer and shock in the pipework and boiler caused when water velocity is a little high and outlets are closed off after use. As the boiler manufacturer cannot control the water velocity in people's homes, I suspect they want a shock arrestor (a tiny little expansion vessel) fitted to mitigate this if it is occurring where one of their boilers is fitted. Hydraulic shocks can loosen fittings and cause leaks if severe enough. Even if you don't have this problem I can understand why they just ask for them for warranty purposes wherever their boilers go in.

It's not a big or particularly expensive job at all or at least it should not be. Easy for me to say when I'm not the one paying for it I know but that is the reasoning behind it I believe.

They prevent water hammer and shock in the pipework and boiler caused when water velocity is a little high and outlets are closed off after use. As the boiler manufacturer cannot control the water velocity in people's homes, I suspect they want a shock arrestor (a tiny little expansion vessel) fitted to mitigate this if it is occurring where one of their boilers is fitted. Hydraulic shocks can loosen fittings and cause leaks if severe enough. Even if you don't have this problem I can understand why they just ask for them for warranty purposes wherever their boilers go in.

It's not a big or particularly expensive job at all or at least it should not be. Easy for me to say when I'm not the one paying for it I know but that is the reasoning behind it I believe.
For a regular sized terrace house what size tank would you suggest? If you could send a link that would be very much appreciated.

It is a very small expansion vessel, and will go on the cold feed to the boiler, not necessary if its not a combi.

Mini Expansion Vessel Shock Arrestor - 1/2" BSP TM

not much bigger than your fist.
1583761092441.png

For a regular sized terrace house what size tank would you suggest? If you could send a link that would be very much appreciated.
It’s just a bit bigger than your fist, put “water hammer arrestor” into google, Screwfix have them for just over 20quid

Reply to Why would cold mains feeding the boiler need an expansion vessel? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock