Search the forum,

Discuss Will a blanking cap work for this? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Afternoon all,

I have just removed a bathroom radiator and now wondering how to plug the end? Am I right in understanding that I should screw a 15mm blanking cap onto the end of this? Or do I need to install a compression stop?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

1687014730457463140179364904855.jpg

Because that valve has a compression connection, it makes a seal via the olive. So really you should add a small section of pipe and then a compression cap.

A cap, creates a seal with a washer and should be screwed on to a connection with a flat face.

Although not correct, a cap, would work here as long as it’s not tightened so much than the chamfered edge of the valve cuts into the washer.

In a pinch, if I only had a cap, I’d file down the valve chamfered edge to make a flatter surface for the caps washer.

Is it permanently or just temporary?

Because that valve has a compression connection, it makes a seal via the olive. So really you should add a small section of pipe and then a compression cap.

A cap, creates a seal with a washer and should be screwed on to a connection with a flat face.

Although not correct, a cap, would work here as long as it’s not tightened so much than the chamfered edge of the valve cuts into the washer.

In a pinch, if I only had a cap, I’d file down the valve chamfered edge to make a flatter surface for the caps washer.
Thanks so much! Very grateful for the help. I'll look at adding a bit of pipe and then a compression cap. I've never done pipe work before so will do some Googling. Thanks again

Hi Shaun, many thanks for the advice. I tried removing the valve but water starts coming out the pipe. I tried turning mains water off but still water runs out, I'm worried about fully taking off the valve? Thanks

What system do you have combi boiler ?

Sry just seen it’s a rad you will need to drain the heating system down

If you remove the pressure via a rad air vent eg with a vent key you should be able to quick swap the fittings over with a towel below

Reply to Will a blanking cap work for this? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock