Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wiring Issue with LP522 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gobyfish

Hi everyone, I'm Mike from Bristol.

Hoping someone on here will be able to help us :)

I've had to replace the boiler feed on our system, and hopefully someone can advise me if I have wired it back up correctly.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/mianikamoo/General/Boiler/diagram.png

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/mianikamoo/General/Boiler/Controllerwiring2.png

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/mianikamoo/General/Boiler/controllerwiring.png

When the fused supply is switched on, the pump is constantly running (which I don't believe it should be) and the programmer has no effect on the boiler operation.

To cut a long story short, the programmar has been replaced, there is no click from room stat, there may be a problem with 3 way valve(defaults to W position) but I can't say for sure until I know the programmer backplate is wired correctly.

If it helps the boiler is an Ideal Classic, the programmer LP522 mk 4(replaced old LP522 which is knackered) Drayton 3 Way, Drayton room and tank stat.

I an old friend of SWMBO's who is a plumber is tryign to help and I appreciate not being physically in front of the system makes life a lot harder, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have been without heating for over a year because we simply cannot afford to call someone in and when we did he refused to look at it because I have replaced the boiler feed myself.

Thanks in advance

gobyfish

You have given the boiler and pump constant live and neutral connections therefore bypassing the programmer. The live should be switched via the programmer. I would sort that out first.

Hi
Get a gas safe engineer in asap you should never do this if your not sure what your doing, you could be put your families lives at risk for the sake of a few pounds.
You could try calling your gas supplier, landlord, even boiler maker, some of these have schemes to help if your facing hardship, also citzens advice, BUT don't D.I.Y gas.

I did wonder if a constant live and neutral was correct, and I'm pretty certain thats how it was before, (kicking myself for not having taken a picture of it before). The wiring that is there does not seem to match the supplied wiring diagrams thast for sure.

Where would you suggest the live to pump should go? There is no switched live connection for the boiler.

Nothing in direct relation to gas has been touched, we also have monxide alarms. Its only the electric side of things I am trying to do.

A gas sfae engineer would have been briliant, if we could actually afford one :(

The boiler is only powered when there is a need for heat either from the room stat or the cylinder stat, It should be wired through a wiring centre, there is a diagram of a typical honeywell setup somewhere on these forums which is a good guide.

Have a look at kevplumbs album here this should give you a better idea about what the wiring should be, you're looking for the y-plan system.

Having had another look at the diagram supplied with the boiler, I've connected the pump and boiler lives together, and it seems to be working. The three way valve appears to be switching correctly, and the temperature is slowly rising in the house, in fact its a balmy 16 degrees so far, positively stifling compared to the 7 degrees we've had for mostof this month lol

Thanks for your help so far, I'll keep a watch on the system and will keep you posted.

Hi
Get a gas safe engineer in asap you should never do this if your not sure what your doing, you could be put your families lives at risk for the sake of a few pounds.
You could try calling your gas supplier, landlord, even boiler maker, some of these have schemes to help if your facing hardship, also citzens advice, BUT don't D.I.Y gas.

Sounds like this one isn't going to take your advice Penged , my God it's absolutely frightening innit?

Sounds like this one isn't going to take your advice Penged , my God it's absolutely frightening innit?

Perhaps you should read the end of my first post, when we did he refused to look at it because I have replaced the boiler feed myself.

I would give the same advice to anyoneelse, get a professional in to look at it. However, we simply couldn't afford to. I will not make my four year old take another period of freezing temperatures so we managed to scrape enough together to cover the cost of someone looking at it, and as I stated he refused to. I can quite understand his position, I mean why should he waste his time looking at a system that someone has tinkered with to find the solution. He simply refused to look at it, end of.

Now that the system is in fact working, after having, made the connections previously mentioned, he ,ay have solved it with one look. He may not have detected that the programmer was faulty, I only made that discovery after taking it apart.

Micro-electronics I can do. I also quite understand that the boiler won't bring in any gas unless it fires up, thats the one nice thing about them. Let me reiterate, I have not made any alterations to the gas system, only the boiler feed as it had no continuity whatsoever(replaced with the correct guage before you ask).

I quite understand your feelings on DIYers touching gas systems, I wouldn't want a car mechanic working on my landy, the practices are completely different, but frankly we didn't have any other option.

Just to update, everything has been functioning correctly for the last week, and just in time too for the cold snap is here :)

Many thanks to CES for your assistance.

Penged and RoryD, keep up the warnings for DIYers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wiring Issue with LP522 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock