Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wiring questions... old prog? new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys...

This always seems to get me and I've done the Honeywell, wiring day out, a year back or so....
So I put in a new boiler - was going for a Valliant but due to space had to go for the Glow worm Energy - heat only ... long story short... I wired it as recommended but I when I rang teci support to check they said that this boiler - to work most effectively should have the pump wired in directly to the boiler. So all good n well but how do I get an extra cable in? I just got no idea of the path. ( it's not upstairs/ downstairs.. )
Second question .. how do I work out what or how the previous installer wired things up? I mean there's more than one way isn't there?
Do you guys rip out the wiring if it looks wonky?
Do you get a electrician- hard to find one that does heating controls ...
Any top tips appreciated :yesnod:

Last edited:
Depends on the job, but I prefer to rip out & do the wiring again if it looks a bit suspect. But there have been a few times when I've fitted an open vented and needed to run a new wire from airing cupboard to kitchen - which is fine if you know before you begin. I believe that the new Vaillant heat only doesn't need a pump over run. ( at least that's what I was told when last at Vaillant's training) and I thought that was because it has the Gloworm hex?

Is there 240 v near boiler position? if so use this as your perm live and then the existing cable as your switch

I usually just trace all the wiring and draw a schematic beforehand then make all the changes I need to.

If you need an extra core for a pump overrun sometimes if existing programmer is by boiler and wiring centre is in the airing cupboard you can move the programmer to the airing cupboard, then you've got an extra cable to play with.

Also, try and get your head around the sequence of what does what and then you wont need to try and complicate things by referring back to wiring diagrams.

As far as I know vaillants still need pump overrun, Viessmanns don't need an overrun for heat onlys, is walterwhite thinking of this? The Baxi solo was popular for conventional swaps as they didn't need perm live or orverrun, I presume the ecoblue is now the same looking at the basic controls on it?

Tolly - I did the vSmart course a couple of months ago & I'm sure the trainer said that the new Vaillant heat onlys don't need pump overun due to the size of the hex.......although I would check with tech support if I was fitting one

If the programer is near the boiler join L N E from there to boiler, exsiting cable that had SL N E, sleeve the N with brown insulator and use as the pump live, then obviously move the wires in the wiring centre

When it comes to central heating wiring at what point do you have to be part p to work on it?

I usually just trace all the wiring and draw a schematic beforehand then make all the changes I need to.

This is ideal but I overlooked it and didn't allow- time and money so felt like I'd got myself in a pickle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wiring questions... old prog? new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock