Discuss Wood burner without DHW in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PerryGorr

Hi, I have a central heating question.
I'm thinking of having a wood burrning stove with wrap around boiler installed to run a few Rads. Hunter 8 possibly.

I do not want to produce DHW using this system, all the diagrams I have seen incorporate a DHW cylinder on the gravity circuit...

Is it obligatory to have a DHW cylinder ? I assume not as not everybody would want the capacity to produce DHW.

If it's not obligatory, then the gravity circuit upto the header tank and heat leak rads would be in 22mm copper ? and I could tee off in 15mm to a pumped circuit for the other rads ?

Thanks

Perry

Thanks

Perry

THe cylinder you see on the diagrams will act as an accumulator. A solid fuel/wood stove cannot just be turned off/down so using a hot water store will balance out the essentially uncontrolable heat supply. It then makes sense to use it for hot water.

centralheatking

Agree with last, although my system supplies back boiler to link up and unvented HW, I would rather have the safety of diverting near boiling water from coal fire to DHW. At the moment, if power / pump fails then back boiler does what it says it will do - boils!

Alternative is to fit a heat sink rad to take away the excess heat. Don't think you can do that in a bungalow!

Thanks , Yes i can see the advantages of installing a DHW cylinder, but I am happy with my current situation for Domestic Hot Water, I simply require a stove to run some Rads..
Is this possible ?
I have the space and capability to have a gravity circuit, open header tank and heat leak rad.
Do building / HETAS regs insist on a DHW Cylinder ?
And If not will 22mm Copper suffice for the gravity circuit ?

Thanks

Perry

Don't just stick any wood burner in. It may look nice but may not deliver what you need. It is so easy to oversize the wood burner. I recommend you speak with EUROHEAT (www.euroheat.co.uk) They have a great range of quality appliances and a good training facility. I can not impress on you enough, that soild fuel heating requires a great deal of technical understanding, especially when we have lots more restrictions under Part G & L buildings regs.

Having a thermal store is common place to day in solid fuel because of the restrictions on controls (You can't turn them off quickly) and distributing the heat safely and appropriately.

I agree with Reg Man... you need the woodburner to run at a high enough temperature to burn efficiently... so size is important (unless you have those silvered heat proof suits you see space men wear)... a woodburner can produce vast amounts of heat...

Thermal Stores are the way forward... couple this with a solar system for the summer and I'd be jealous !!

If their is a power cut , and the pump doesnt work the heat has to go somewhere ..... That is why you need to have a cylinder and a heat leak rad , . 28 mm pipe is best for a gravity circuit to a cylinder . ... I have tried useing 22mm on vertical pipes and they are not big enough ..

Thermal store which you can then take the CH off.

Thats the safe option. Needs to be correct size though.

Thats the safe option. Needs to be correct size though.
Thanks all for the info, however, can anybody answer the question " is it obligatory to install a DHW cylinder on the gravity circuit ? "

Cheers

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wood burner without DHW in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi All...thx for the help in advance. I have recently installed a wood burner with back boiler heating system. Set up with gravity rad and header...
Replies
Views
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop...
Replies
Views
C
My parents house has a wood burning stove that is also connected to the central heating ( they have radiators and used to have an old boiler which...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock