Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Worcester boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atouchofgas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a phone call from a cust who has a wb greenstar rhe combi. She has had it serviced recently, the company told her the fan is noisy as the bearings are going due to the gas pipe being undersized. She thinks they are talking crap, so hence the reason I have the call. So let me know your thoughts on that one then crap or true!

Utter balls, even if theoretically the fan was struggling due to a restrictive gas pipe (which I don't believe is possible because it is also drawing air in through a relatively un restrictive passage) the bearings wouldn't fail, the windings would burn out I would say.

I know I did have to stop my self laughing down the phone. I know the other company quite well and have had a few of his ex custs phone

atouchofgas looks like they are not getting much work and are trying to get more work out of customers

He's not and he's getting a reputation for crap employment 9 plumbers in 16 months he's gone through

if the gas is undersized then he should make safe or put right, not push for a new fan first.

They can get a tad noisey when older, it will last years though, get gas pipe sorted

more than likely its either failing due to age or not been serviced properly and condensates been backing up into the fan

How does it back up to the fan?
if the burner gaskets not been replaced every few years and baffles removed the bottom baffle clogs with rubbish stopping the condensate draining away,it backs up and kills the fan, in bad cases it also causes the hex to swell writing it off

Well I am going on Thursday to quote. Will include price for fan, new gasket and full strip down. Will check gas pipe but I am sure it's 22mm into chb

The fan comes with the gasket, so don't need to quote for that too.

Providing the gas rate, inlet and meter working pressures and FGA is all ok with the boiler the gas pipe can just be left as NCS I think.

if the burner gaskets not been replaced every few years and baffles removed the bottom baffle clogs with rubbish stopping the condensate draining away,it backs up and kills the fan, in bad cases it also causes the hex to swell writing it off

I've not seen that before. We have approx 500+ greenstars on the patch and to be honest every time I have taken the baffles out I think its a waste of time as there isn't much to do, the condensate washes any crap out into the trap where it collects.

Yes, Worcester supply a seal with the fan! Crazy isn't it! But then they do state is HAS to be changed, so I suppose it'd be annoying if they didn't give you one!

I've not seen them kill the fan when the sump blocks up, but have seen them get the gas valve connections wet and prevent the boiler from doing anything.

I've not seen that before. We have approx 500+ greenstars on the patch and to be honest every time I have taken the baffles out I think its a waste of time as there isn't much to do, the condensate washes any crap out into the trap where it collects.
seen it 3 times in the last couple of years

Yes, Worcester supply a seal with the fan! Crazy isn't it! But then they do state is HAS to be changed, so I suppose it'd be annoying if they didn't give you one!

I've not seen them kill the fan when the sump blocks up, but have seen them get the gas valve connections wet and prevent the boiler from doing anything.

I've seen them do this on the older models where the connections are at the back and sunk into the indent in the chassis. Dumb idea. This is normally due to rainwater getting in the flue though and pooling.

Worcester city our way

This boiler has a WB5 heatcell not WB3 so it can't happen, it's most rare on WB3 juniors, Si etc as it's only 2 Pozi screws to check the bottom of the hex, you can even Hoover thro there too with the Henry crevice tool.

the fan noise is normal, do not change it will last years! It's the inbuilt PCB that fails on some batches anyhow not the fan bearings, the HE is the most bullet proof WB, it will be a minimum of 8 years old probably more

Missed that, thought it was a typo these are the zwb's we are taking about ? 7-27, 7-25 etc? Big old beast with the green display?

Quick update, went to see boiler it's a wb r40 he plus combi. Tested gas pressure 16.5 mbar, tested meter 17.5 mbar. That will be a goosed regulator then not undersized pipework. Fan screams like crazing so quoted to replace that

I'd hold off on the fan atm. By the sounds of it the throttle is way out adjustment. It'll be roaring very loudly and if you gas rate it, would confirm this. Gas rate would come in about 52kw or something. Try fga on it and see if it's right. You'll need to stick it in service mode. Turn the temp control knobs to min. Press and hold the spanner button. Using the dhw control to adjust the display to 2.0. Wait for it to change to a 0, then use the ch knob for 1 = min and 2 = max. Should be 9.2 min and 9.8 max co2 %. Adjust the max on red screw behind the grey cap in the chamber and min behind the white cap on the gv. Also check there isn't rubber in the fan. There's a flap on the inside of the fan that often breaks off.

Last edited:
Cheers for that Arran, will give it a shot when I go back, sgn have replaced reg so I will need to reset it anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Si combi boiler, the analog clock has stopped and the On-Timer-Off switch only works on Timer setting...
Replies
Views
Oily smell from boiler recently before failed. Great plumber sorted though when opened external baffle at front of sealed flue the internal spring...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I hope you are well. Need some advice on this boiler and fault. E229. Went there and condensate was totally blocked so cleaned it and...
Replies
Views
Greetings. I have an external Worcester Bosch Heatslave boiler and have a question about pressure. The boiler pressure was set to 1.5 during a...
Replies
Views
Greetings. I have an external Worcester Bosch Heatslave boiler and have a question about pressure. The boiler pressure was set to 1.5 during a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock