Currently reading:
working on 54mm copper pipe

Discuss working on 54mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, im after some advise. I need to replace a small section of 54mm pipe. The pipe is part of a hot water loop from the boilers. I have been seeing on forums that some people say use standard solder as you would for smaller pipes and others saying to braze the joints with high content silver sticks.

What are the pros and cons between the 2 methods? Would standard solder not be up to the job using Map gas and a decent torch

Thanks for your help

You can braze or solder 54mm. Also press fit or compression.
Braze requires silver solder rods and oxy-acetylene kit.

just soft solder it, braze or silver solder is only required for higher temperatures

soft solder just remember to keep working your blowlamp all the way round constantly.

or use a 9kg bottle and a big head to get plenty of heat into the fitting. If using compression fitting then its 24" stillsons to give it a good nip up :)

I've soldered 42mm with a normal Rothenberger Superfire torch before and MAPP gas. I can't imagine 54mm being any different. Just keep moving the flame round the fitting. It will still get the copper hotter, you just need to solder one bit at a time if that makes sense.

Ive done same as kieran ive done 42mm with the rothy torch at Denholms fishselling depot 2 month ago, fine change workin the big stuff,

My nipper picked up a DVD from ebay, and in it the Polish instructor states that they only braze abroad, never use solder. Is this true?
That's for all piping.

Last edited:
or use a 9kg bottle and a big head to get plenty of heat into the fitting. If using compression fitting then its 24" stillsons to give it a good nip up :)

no offence bud but stillys are likely to squash/deform nut better off with large shifters (learnt this by knackering a pump valve nut once)..brum

Xpress fittings, if its a bit tight then get a slip coupling - you wont regret it. Dont stress, press ;)

no offence bud but stillys are likely to squash/deform nut better off with large shifters (learnt this by knackering a pump valve nut once)..brum

On 2"? I just don't think it get them tight enough, unless your talking about the mega big shifters that are like £70 ?

I don't like using 28mm comp', personally. Let alone 54mm. company i'm doing work for at the min wont allow comp on heating or flexi on Doms

im with markaqua, use x-press straight connector and slip joint and hire a crimper with 54mm headset, youll have it done in 2 minutes and not have to worry about whether the solder has ran allway around the fitting. We use 54mm all the time and use press all the time, we learnt not to use compression as the copper expands and contracts too much for the brass ring to keep up and you are forever going back and nipping it up, even with tape and paste on.

im with markaqua, use x-press straight connector and slip joint and hire a crimper with 54mm headset, youll have it done in 2 minutes and not have to worry about whether the solder has ran allway around the fitting. We use 54mm all the time and use press all the time, we learnt not to use compression as the copper expands and contracts too much for the brass ring to keep up and you are forever going back and nipping it up, even with tape and paste on.

Finally, someone agrees :punk:

I've said it before, and I'm probably drunk, but i would not use compression, or solder or anything else that isn't Xpress or Mapress. I honestly cannot remember the last time I ran a job using Yorks' fittings, don't get me wrong they have got me out of trouble, but generally we're just not using them any more. although I don't think they will ever die out - tried and tested N' all that.

Quite a few if the home owner spent more than £54k on his renewables

all our jobs use press, even the 15 + 22mm, but if i was putting a heating system in a 2/3 bedroom house then getting the press gun under floorboards would be a major pain in the arris... back to solder for them jobs.

On 2"? I just don't think it get them tight enough, unless your talking about the mega big shifters that are like £70 ?

Still would go with shifter. In my opinion stillys for pipe only,. shifters for fittings.
I know they might be dear but so are 3ft stillys and how often do you use them?
..brum

Spanners are for fittings. Stilsons are for pipes. The marks they leave on fittings make me cringe.

Spanners are for fittings. Stilsons are for pipes. The marks they leave on fittings make me cringe.

Totally agree. Ridgid hex wrench are designed for fittings/ unions or anything with a flat face.

I'm fitting 54 mm copper ATM gas run ohh big pipes

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to working on 54mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back