Discuss working on 54mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, im after some advise. I need to replace a small section of 54mm pipe. The pipe is part of a hot water loop from the boilers. I have been seeing on forums that some people say use standard solder as you would for smaller pipes and others saying to braze the joints with high content silver sticks.

What are the pros and cons between the 2 methods? Would standard solder not be up to the job using Map gas and a decent torch

Thanks for your help

You can braze or solder 54mm. Also press fit or compression.
Braze requires silver solder rods and oxy-acetylene kit.

just soft solder it, braze or silver solder is only required for higher temperatures

soft solder just remember to keep working your blowlamp all the way round constantly.

or use a 9kg bottle and a big head to get plenty of heat into the fitting. If using compression fitting then its 24" stillsons to give it a good nip up :)

I've soldered 42mm with a normal Rothenberger Superfire torch before and MAPP gas. I can't imagine 54mm being any different. Just keep moving the flame round the fitting. It will still get the copper hotter, you just need to solder one bit at a time if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to working on 54mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is...
Replies
Views
Hi, my wife decided she wanted new modern bathtaps instead of the old 'supertaps' we've had since we bought the place. So we bought the new taps...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock