Search the forum,

Discuss worried sick over betacom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

fitted the above boiler on sat in a bedroom and when on i could smell water vapour smell - same smell as plume out of flue . gas rated the boiler and analysed it and assumed it was just newness of the boiler and inhibitor spilt on pipe under boiler. got a call just asking to come and look tomorrow as they can smell fumes . on sat I smelt the smell and as I said put down to newness did room co test to be safe and got nothing also co alarm is fitted and that's not gone off . it gas rated ok and gas sound . analyser readings were a bit low but seemed ok from memory co ratio was 0.0009 /ppm 43 / and co2 5% which I thought was low but manual said factory set don't adjust. going to take flue apart to check the seals are not pushed out. I feel so stressed and wont sleep to night now with worry.

This is in the public forum mate, maybe best to move it to the closed forum.

Check all of the condense. And check you have water in the trap

Where does the condensate go into? Was the trap full of water?

condense run to external drain - along wall internaly 3m then down wall into ext drain . will check trap didn't check that sat

If flue was a mess readings would be making your analyzer ring it's balls off at over 300ppm!!

It's the conny not being filled as others said? It's horrible when u think something is wrong can't rest until it's been checked, well most if u I imagine I sleep like a baby !

Sign of a good engineer to be concerned like this. Need to chill a bit though cos the stress will kill you.

thanks having a beer to chill and help me sleep. checking condense then air test point for 20.6 - 20.9 / and all internal flue and condense connextions before removing cemented in flue

thanks having a beer to chill and help me sleep. checking condense then air test point for 20.6 - 20.9 / and all internal flue and condense connextions before removing cemented in flue

all the best mate, i worry like this too, your not the only one. Ive had sleepless nights about stuff and its been alright in the end

just a thought will my anton gas leak detector also pick up combustion fumes ? only had it a few wks and not realy used it yet

Plus, if a CO detector is fitted they usually go bananas above 10ppm don't they?

Plus, if a CO detector is fitted they usually go bananas above 10ppm don't they?

yes mate co alarm is in the built in cupboard with boiler and that's not gone off .wondering if there is a slight weep and evaporating with the inhibitor . tomorrow will tell .

yes mate co alarm is in the built in cupboard with boiler and that's not gone off .wondering if there is a slight weep and evaporating with the inhibitor . tomorrow will tell .

If the condense trap isn't filled it will produce a slight smell. Although looking at the manufacturers instructions theres no mention of filling the trap. If you were that concerned mate maybe you should've left it isolated until you had more time to fully inspect it? Don't stress tho. If the analyser reading were good I'm sure it will be fine.

If the condense trap isn't filled it will produce a slight smell. Although looking at the manufacturers instructions theres no mention of filling the trap. If you were that concerned mate maybe you should've left it isolated until you had more time to fully inspect it? Don't stress tho. If the analyser reading were good I'm sure it will be fine.

its an ultimate boiler same as betacom fitted a few and never filled the trap and been ok .tested what I could on sat and assumed it was newness. customer turned boiler off until tomorrow .

Yes got a callout once to co alarm in an alcoholics house. He had about 15 people on the living room all smoking whcih was setting it off.

I'm sure things will be fine mate, you have taken safety measures and the client has turned it off so try and take a deep breath and relax.
:)

Yes got a callout once to co alarm in an alcoholics house. He had about 15 people on the living room all smoking whcih was setting it off.

Yuck, you'd have needed a hacksaw to cut through the smoke :lol:

Think most co detectors give a constant alarm at 150ppm or 300ppm nowerdays?

The new Vaillants give off a smell for a while when they're new. But I worry like this too, had many sleepless nights worrying about things like this that usually turn out to be nothing.

checked the flue and the condense and all ok.the smell today was not the same as Saturday I think sat was the newness of the boiler. it was gassey today - got the gas sniffer out and found weep on the valve under boiler - customer had piled big boxes into the cupboard knocking and disturbing the gas connection a nip and smell gone and worry over

Glad you got it sorted I have a couple of jobs at the moment doing my head in lol.unblocked kitchen sink a few weeks ago in a flat 7mtrs of 40mm waste pipe behind the kitchen units into a boxed and tiled soil and vent arrrrr finally got it running after plunged/one shot and hassle the landlord text me it's blocked again .

Glad you got it sorted I have a couple of jobs at the moment doing my head in lol.unblocked kitchen sink a few weeks ago in a flat 7mtrs of 40mm waste pipe behind the kitchen units into a boxed and tiled soil and vent arrrrr finally got it running after plunged/one shot and hassle the landlord text me it's blocked again .

if its a straightish run in the past I have used a roll of 10mm sp fit pipe to rod wastes out .pvc taped the cap on the end .or cheap rodding sprig 10m long got mine from a market stall £7.hope you get it sorted

Good to hear it all worked out well. Like others have, I have had sleepless nights.namely one crazy customer who texted phoned emailed, saying they had the emergency services out since I had fitted the boiler and to contact straight away. I went straight round and found the gas isolated by a tofu. Cut along story short after checking my work it transpires the new co alarm I fitted had correctly triggered an alarm but it was due to the wolly leaving their car running to heat it up in the inbuilt garage. Apparently been doing it for years but obviously minus the co detector. Darwin candidate right there.

Holy crap. Your stomach must have done a full 360.

Just abit. Nerves were rattled for days afterwards. The custard was a right pain in the arris as well. Rich but slow in paying and quick at asking for favours. This was in the beginning of self employment though. Now Im much more on the ball with these bottom feeders. I seem to be able to sniff them out now and either refuse the job or charge a fortune so if I get it the hassle will be paid for upfront!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to worried sick over betacom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock