Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Wrong address in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ryanlee

My old boss phoned me the other day to see if I could do a job for him. Only had to swap 6 trvs on a sealed system so said ok. He text me the address and off I went. Knocked on the door and man answered. Told him I had come to change his rad valves. " brilliant, only reported it this morning, in yer come, cup o tea? ". " yes please " I reply. Quickly scope out job as ex boss can be a bit wooly in details. 6 trvs on a sealed system, nice and easy. 45 minutes, 2 cups of tea and half a pack of hob nobs later, I'm off. Next day ex boss phones asking why I hadn't done the job. Turns out he had given me the wrong address, I was supposed to be next door!!!!! Not the first time this has happened, I have changed 2 ports, 3 ports and almost a cylinder!!!! Anyone else or is it just my old boss who is bad with addresses.

Back when I was installing for the council we were fitting full systems in one road and working our way along. Knocked at the door one morning and said we've come to fit a new system. Old chap seemed really pleased to see us. Treated us like kings that day. Tea by the gallon and sandwiches, the works. Job done. He was made up. Turned out he was the only private house in the street. We got an almighty telling off for it.
i was quite pleased tho, he derserved it poor old git having to live next to some real scumbags.

Have done this with a few gas checks,given wrong road no or flat no,if tenants ,they just let you to get on with it :smartass:

Had it a few times you know your at the wrong house when people stare back at you with a blanck expression

I've gone to the van before now and returned to find I was in the wrong livingroom lol

I've gone to the van before now and returned to find I was in the wrong livingroom lol

Done that a few time's in the summertime,go to van for something ,next door opens there door and leaves open and in I trot,was under a kitchen sink once and I looked out of unit at a frightened looking home owner
Apparently there are a lot of kitchen trap burglars in that area :willy_nilly:

i spent ten minutes cursing because my van wouldnt unlock till i realised it was the wrong white transit mine was on the other side of the road
ive also been in the wrong house and cant work out where the gas fire i was working on has gone

Last edited:
brilliant thread

been to wrong address spoke to the owner same first name as original client , but never have done any job yet :)

love it keep them coming :)

I've actually been in the wrong town before. Got called out to a property on a new estate and the agent only gave us the number and road name. Drove over to Bexhill to find the people at the property knew nothing about a boiler breakdown. Discovered that there was now a road with the same name in Hastings on a new estate.

I heard of a guy who worked for a roofing company, & was sent out to a terrace house to reslate it totally. He had it stripped and new slates almost done, when the owners arrived home late afternoon & asked him what he was doing. His mistake, he had been given the correct address but had went to wrong street! :smile: He didn't tell his company as far as I know!

When the OP says a sealed system wht does he mean please? Also, 6 TRV's change in 45 mins? that is very quick! Am I missing something? How can you change a rad valve without draining the system please?

Cheers

Regards to all this fine Sunday

Rocket

Back when I was installing for the council we were fitting full systems in one road and working our way along. Knocked at the door one morning and said we've come to fit a new system. Old chap seemed really pleased to see us. Treated us like kings that day. Tea by the gallon and sandwiches, the works. Job done. He was made up. Turned out he was the only private house in the street. We got an almighty telling off for it.
i was quite pleased tho, he derserved it poor old git having to live next to some real scumbags.

You are doing one better than me. At least you had gas. I spec'd a new heating system in a property that didn't even have a gas meter, much less a live supply.

Funny thing was it took the installers two days to figure it out!

well a small sealed system with 6 radiators if your only changing the valves not the nuts i can see being done in an hour if your quick and have no problems with air

When the OP says a sealed system wht does he mean please? Also, 6 TRV's change in 45 mins? that is very quick! Am I missing something? How can you change a rad valve without draining the system please?

Cheers

Regards to all this fine Sunday

Rocket

He could be exaggerating a bit, but 6 TRVs fitted in 45 min is one every 7 min, so very possible. On a sealed system just drop the pressure completely & replace one valve at a time. Be sure to close any auto vents, as they will let air in & thus water out of where you are opening pipes! Pipe will not let water out, so you can easily cut olive off & remove nut if needed, but water will glug out of rad, so bung tail with rag. Easy job if you can use old tails again.

Was on an emergency call out last year. Leaking 28mm pipe. Isolated and drained it, and realised I'd need a hand to do the repair as very awkward.

Phone for help, but give the wrong town (well they both began with W).

An hour later, no sign of my mate. Then the call, 'where are you'?. Oooops.

Some of these are hilarious, glad its not just me. Re time for job - didn't drain just closed F and R at boiler relieved pressure and changed valves. Didn't need to change nuts or tails. Always try to avoid drain down if possible!!
anyway back to topic, lost count how many times I've gone to an address with a bunch of keys and spent 5 minutes trying front door, back door only for someone to eventually come out and ask me what the hell I think I'm doing.... Come to replace your tap.... Think you've got the wrong house mate!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these are hilarious, glad its not just me. Re time for job - didn't drain just closed F and R at boiler relieved pressure and changed valves. Didn't need to change nuts or tails. Always try to avoid drain down if possible!!
Risky maneuver closing the isolating valves on f + r. Always leak like a sieve for me.

Did a full service in the wrong house, they were expecting another company the same day to do the same job so they let me in, made me a drink, were chatting to me about my boss, (same name as the boss of the other company and how he is moving to New Zeland! major coincidence). Didn't clock untill I had a phone call asking were I was.

Yeah I know what your saying. Don't usually but boiler looked quite new so thought I would take the risk. Nothing like living life on the edge!

ended up in the wrong town when i was a lad. luckily i werent driving! we went to gillingham kent, was meant to be in gillingham down near devon somewhere!! lol

ended up in the wrong town when i was a lad. luckily i werent driving! we went to gillingham kent, was meant to be in gillingham down near devon somewhere!! lol

Was at a Worcester course at dartford trainer was telling us previously a pair of people should of been coming to them but went to Worcester main centre instead and they were from cornmall way as well opps

Was at a Worcester course at dartford trainer was telling us previously a pair of people should of been coming to them but went to Worcester main centre instead and they were from cornmall way as well opps

thats a fair old poke!!!

Once got so plastered, I jumped on a night train and ended up 300 miles away in Aberdeen. Slept on the platform that night like a tramp.

i worked for the toooooooooooooooon in perth and being english caused all the scotish foremen to out scottish each other so i was sent to fffffffffffffooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn when i got there i asked the postman for mr so and so and he told me no one by that name lived there and being very rural he would no so i rang the ofice and i was told i should be in ffffffffffffffffffffffffffooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee fifty miles away and i should hot foot it through snow and black ice quick as i could needless to say i wrote the tooooooooooooooooooooooons van off and the blame culture being so strong there the person who sent me to the wrong place was bent over and had his farmer giles punctured with a rusty rasp all the same i had to drive every where at about two miles an hour till summer

billybob150811, nothing wrong with being English and working in Scotland. We're not all anti-English muppets up here you know, in fact it's only a tiny minority that are. Despite me being a staunch supporter of Scottish Independence, I've never considered anyone from England to be different. I've got a lot of mates originally from South of the Border, and they get the same respect up here as everyone else. The same is true for most Scots.

most of us south of the border aren't anti scottish either.
I know that mate, but people who go on about English people being treated badly up here really pee me off. I think some go looking for trouble, Same goes for Scots working down South.

I can nor beli e it steve b , you have been moderator for a few weeks and you got new car already ..... :)
I know I should give up plumbing too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wrong address in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock