Discuss Y plan heating stays on when programmer is turned off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Connor Williams

Hello guys here's a problem I am having and would appreciate any helpful advice thankyou.
i have a Honeywell Y plan heating system with three port zone valve and the heating and hot water stays on when the programmer is turned off.
i have renewed the programmer and the problem is still happening.
when I turn down the cylinder stat and wall stat this will turn off the pump and boiler.
So....I suspect the zone valve may be sticking but how does this explain a constant electrical signal going to the valve, only interrupted by the stats being turned off.
got me stumped as I have renewed the programmer and it's made no difference, any advice greatly appreciated thanks

Connor

Hello guys here's a problem I am having and would appreciate any helpful advice thankyou.
i have a Honeywell Y plan heating system with three port zone valve and the heating and hot water stays on when the programmer is turned off.
i have renewed the programmer and the problem is still happening.
when I turn down the cylinder stat and wall stat this will turn off the pump and boiler.
So....I suspect the zone valve may be sticking but how does this explain a constant electrical signal going to the valve, only interrupted by the stats being turned off.
got me stumped as I have renewed the programmer and it's made no difference, any advice greatly appreciated thanks

Connor

power on the Orange wire coming from the three port, I suspect the fault is in the three port, when programmer off there should be no power on orange, it can get power from the grey to the three port but shouldn't, if you know what your doing you could check this out. Only check if your safe and know what your doing, don't touch without safety electrical knowledge

Agreed Leo, I was assuming the op is a professional but couldn't find the fault, if not a professional get one in

Thanks for the replies, yes I have carefully checked with my mains tester and there is power on the grey and orange wires even when the programmer is turned off.
i thought the valve may be stuck but when I turn off the cylinder stat and room stat this does shut everything off and the 3 port valve does close off the heating port into its 'standby' position.
this is the only way to shut off the boiler and pump at the moment.
So maybe I should replace the actuator and take it from there!

Think the actuator may be fine, it sounds like the internal wiring in the head, or it could be wired wrong sending power out on orange, need to check every piece of wiring if safe to do so

Thanks guys don't worry I am a professional plumber but have to confess this had me stumped a bit but the customer has just informed me this has only started since a previous plumber renewed the pump two weeks ago and won't come back.
hmm....reckon he may have got his wiring wrong, I will check the wiring and let you know the end result thanks for your help.

all the best Connor

My apologies Connor, I didn't know you were trade. It sounds like a wiring fault, the easiest way forward to my mind would be to wire a new divertor in, without actually doing the wet side to test the theory.

No problem as we are dealing with electrics so I appreciate we have to be careful with advice given. I will double check the wiring but I doubt the previous plumber altered the wiring in the junction box as pumps don't normally come with a flex, I normally just disconnect and reconnect at the pump terminals.

i will doublecheck all wiring, renew the actuator and post the outcome thanks again for your help,
all the best Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Y plan heating stays on when programmer is turned off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock