Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss 15 or 22mm Gas Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewat66

Gas Engineer
Hi All,
Just trying to get some clarification on the 15 or 22mm gas connection. I have a colleague who insists on getting all his installs changed to 22mm. I have also had confirmation from clients that BG insist on this as well but I was working under the rule of pipe run with bends and other gas appliances at max being under 1mb drop from meter to boiler?
Most boilers appear to have 22mm connections but I am fitting a Glowworm flexicom this week that has 15mm gas connection, so do you always follow manufacturers instructions but hat applies when not mentioned in the MIs?
Thanks
Kewat66

what kw is the boiler and how far is it from meter? dont renew unless its needed

they will become stuck one day when they have to replace a pipe to 28mm. you wont as it will already be 28mm!! which one do you prefer? customer pays or you pay?

Gasmanxxxr1 & lameplumber, that's what I have been working to. Doing the calculations and if it passes just changing the first meter to 22mm so it is the same as the gas connection.
i also where possible check the old boiler to meter with my gauge as it stands to see what reading I get.
kewat66

Gasmanxxxr1 & lameplumber, that's what I have been working to. Doing the calculations and if it passes just changing the first meter to 22mm so it is the same as the gas connection.
i also where possible check the old boiler to meter with my gauge as it stands to see what reading I get.
kewat66

ticketi poo then, out of interest why did you raise this question, have you been reading mfis that state all runs to be in 22mm?

One nob I used to work with thought it would be alright as mfr says boiler will work as low as 14mbar! WHY the hell do they publish pap like that? Meter to boiler max 1Mb and that's it.

One nob I used to work with thought it would be alright as mfr says boiler will work as low as 14mbar! WHY the hell do they publish pap like that? Meter to boiler max 1Mb and that's it.

As the manufacturers actually write the rules for gas safe to follow

First thing I do when weighing up for a new boiler is to test the drop between meter and boiler. Obviously if boiler is dead then you cant do that.Shows the customer you know what you are doing, and also puts you onto firm territory... If its more than 1mb drop, then it needs upgrading, end of story

Lameplumber,
yes this week i have had 3 quote installs following on from BG where they have stated all pipe work must be upgraded but in 2 of the quotes i worked out the runs were fine and within the correct tolerance. When i checked with a gas friend he backed them up, always changed to 22mm and insisted i was wrong! Just wanted clarification as this area seems a bit grey with MIs etc. If the MIs insist follow them if not you the pipe run calculation.

Lameplumber,
yes this week i have had 3 quote installs following on from BG where they have stated all pipe work must be upgraded but in 2 of the quotes i worked out the runs were fine and within the correct tolerance. When i checked with a gas friend he backed them up, always changed to 22mm and insisted i was wrong! Just wanted clarification as this area seems a bit grey with MIs etc. If the MIs insist follow them if not you the pipe run calculation.

BG saleman have been told to always sell a gas pipe upgrade, that way if it needs doing then its already in the quote, if the engineer doesnt need it then he can refund it and look like a hero in front of the customer

BG saleman dont have a clue, probably selling windows last week

they will become stuck one day when they have to replace a pipe to 28mm. you wont as it will already be 28mm!! which one do you prefer? customer pays or you pay?

who becomes stuck?

If i think the pipe run is border line i would include an upgrade in my quote and then just take it off if not needed

any combi unless its sitting on top of the meter is going to need 22
reason manaufacturers give advice on how low a boiler will function is to overcome low pressure areas theres an area near me where your luckyn bto get 18mb at the meter when you get transco out the just say its a known problem and provided youve got the pipe size right to get 1mb drop max and its above the limit that the manufacturer gives then you can leave it running

i worked on a HA job where they decided to fit isars because they had a 15mm connection and would work on 14mb inlet pressure. I refused to connect them up on the existing carcus and told the clerk he was an idiot and did not understand the regs and pipework sizing. As you can imagine i was removed from the job because i knew what i was doing and could not convince them that the size of the gas connection on the boiler has no real relevance to the actual gas supply needed.

At the end of the day I upgrade all my boiler installs no problems. I learned the hard way one time so lesson learned

Lameplumber,
read instructions for boiler ,most WB boilers need 22 mm min

Consultancy I got called in for on block of 50 flats. All design pipe sizing on original drawing was very border line. All pipe runs were long from communal meter room to each flat, run in track pipe buried in the carpeted corridor floors. Installer had decided to save money on materials by dropping down one size, bearing in mind 75metres of 40mm Tracpipe costs about £2K, he saves about £300 to 400 every 75metres. Result is working pressure differentials of up to 9 mbar on some runs, the boilers keep breaking down. Cost of all the corrective work must have been £100's of K's. I hope someone had good insurance.

i dont really get this use of the statement's "this manufacturer said this" and "this manufacturer said that".

it does not really matter what they suggest, a 15kw worcester or 15kw baxi or a 15kw whatever, no change in what is required. what matter's is you design/size the pipework correctly.

Most of what manufacturers state in there instructions is used by engineers as an excuse from my experience. If your using manufacturers instructions to help you decide or excuse what size gas supply you fit then you need to reevaluate your methods imo.

i dont really get this use of the statement's "this manufacturer said this" and "this manufacturer said that".

it does not really matter what they suggest, a 15kw worcester or 15kw baxi or a 15kw whatever, no change in what is required. what matter's is you design/size the pipework correctly.

Most of what manufacturers state in there instructions is used by engineers as an excuse from my experience. If your using manufacturers instructions to help you decide or excuse what size gas supply you fit then you need to reevaluate your methods imo.
i agree in part but it does matter what the manufactures say, worcester did say 22mm for a 12kw boiler and you had to comply ,now they say 15mm is ok,
You still need to size the house correctly.

i agree in part but it does matter what the manufactures say, worcester did say 22mm for a 12kw boiler and you had to comply ,now they say 15mm is ok,
You still need to size the house correctly.

the only thing the manufacturer has control over is the connection on the boiler. If you size the pipework correctly you will never not comply with the manufacturers instructions. All they are concerned about is low gas pressures when they attend a warranty call tbh which is why they sometimes state a min size to try and stop poor installs. You cant blame them for wanting to recommend a min pipesize when they attend alot of poorly fitted appliances.

Hi All,
Just trying to get some clarification on the 15 or 22mm gas connection. I have a colleague who insists on getting all his installs changed to 22mm. I have also had confirmation from clients that BG insist on this as well but I was working under the rule of pipe run with bends and other gas appliances at max being under 1mb drop from meter to boiler?
Most boilers appear to have 22mm connections but I am fitting a Glowworm flexicom this week that has 15mm gas connection, so do you always follow manufacturers instructions but hat applies when not mentioned in the MIs?
Thanks
Kewat66

size accordingly to inlet , op pressure but be prepared if any work is done on the property after you leave if the pressure drops below MI gas safe can make you go back upto 6 YEARS to change regardless of what any further work was done

I always change gas run to 22mm as long as the pressures required are met. I wouldn't leave 15mm in even if I was getting correct pressure at the boiler. Way I see it is, at some point in future it will be classed as undersized if it's left in 15mm so I might as well take the money for it than leave it for someone else.
Also in a similar vein if I change a lead tail on the meter I always increase to 28mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15 or 22mm Gas Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock