Discuss 18mm Plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andyjjj

Hi guys

Has anyone come across 18mm plastic pipes for their cold water feed (toilet, sinks etc)?

My apartment is fitted with these pipes but all the new fittings I've got are 15mm, does anyone know where to get adaptors/converters from? or even any other way reducing down to 15?

I'm pretty much stuck if I can't sort it as the old toilet has gone now all waiting for the new one with new piping!

Thanks and appreciate any response!

A plumber in need! :confused:

Re: 18mm Plastic Pipes?!

are you sure its 18m and not 5/8 or 3/8 imp. cut a bit off and take it to plumb centre or grahams P.M they will have a compresion fitting but there around £9 each

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 18mm Plastic Pipes?!

are you sure its 18m and not 5/8 or 3/8 imp. cut a bit off and take it to plumb centre or grahams P.M they will have a compresion fitting but there around £9 each

Oh right, yes I've got a part of it so will go to the Plumb Center tomorrow. They'll have a Compression that will reduce down to 15mm?

Thanks!

Sounds like it may be 1/2" durapipe. If it is you'll need to get special transition couplings and glue.

Mike

Just measured it again and it's actually 17mm diameter (outer) and 14mm diameter (inner)

Does that make any more sense?

Either way I'll go to Grahams PB tomorrow, just realised there's one just down the road!

My understanding is that:
1/2 inch = 12.7mm
5/8 inch = 15.875

thanks for your help guys!

been there.
18mm does exist in plastic. check out polypipe. widely used in oz.
lots of german u/f system use it too.
if its not old its 18mm. have fun
it could be worse, in spain you can still buy 14,16 and 18mm copper.
shaun

this may sound odd but when I find odd size diameter pipe try the yellow pages for companies that deal in hydraulics. theres a local one to me, Thames Valley Hydraulics, who have got me out of the smeg quite a few times.
They obviously do more than just hose pipes for tractors.
regards
Mike
now Ive written this you'll think my pipe work is a right old mess
and you would be right!!!!:D

right I've been informed that it's most likely old Durapipe and PVC-U.

Went to plumbcenter with the pipe and they said they'd never seen anything like it and had nothing to help!

Graham P M were better and sold me a massive universal coupling, but this didn't work either - I think it was too large (for 22mm)

I've now been advised that Philmac do another universal coupling which from their catalogue ok the website looks like it could work, however I've not got my hopes up!

Someone else had said that I need to cut the pipe differently with a special cutter to create a tapered end? Then it would work...

It seems there's no standard solution for this problem!

if tis is a dark grey rigid plastic pipe, then the fittings for it are availiable at pipeline centers eveywhere (part of plumb center group) it does require a specific glue that is also sold there
years back you had to glue all the fittings one day and return 24 hrs later to put water through it. now they do rapid set,that will still take a few hours to set hard enough to put cold main through it
best fitting is plastic to 1/2"" female then carry on in copper..good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 18mm Plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock