Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss 8mm to 15mm for radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackplumb

I need to inrease 8mm pipes up to 15mm for about 2 metres on one radiator, will this work ok considering that the velocity of the water will be reduced.

May actually HELP the flow of water to the rad to increase the size from 8 to 15mm. You are shortening the pipe with more resistance surely?
I would only worry about reducing pipe bore anytime.

Ya just push 8mm into 15 and braze up

I personally would use soldered 8 x 15mm connectors. Can't be much money for a couple of these, so why do anything else? Brass connectors would do, if accessible, but soft copper microbore is more likely to weep someday.

I always have brazing rods in van as I do a lot of air con and fridg work and I know it don't have to fit perfect but it still won't leak

Yes, I have seen that done on heating systems, - 2 or three microbore pipes brazed into a 15mm pipe to simplify things & save using manifolds or tees. But the OP said for one rad, so in this case just a simple increase in size on the 8mm to a rad.

I do this usually when fitting a towel rad in place of a standard rad. Most houses pre 1990 have 8mm microbore heating systems. I cut the the tails, fit a 8mm to 15mm soldered reducer and file the chrome from the new 15mm copper and solder this to the reducer. The soldered reducer is then hidden under the floor leaving the chrome pipe on view. Never had one single leak or problem, but I definitely would not recommend a compression fitting on microbore if it is to be concealed under the floor space. Neither would I recommend a pushfit either as I've seen these blow off microbore, perhaps due to the softness of the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 8mm to 15mm for radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock